I'm not sure how to word this but here it goes. I made some changes to a wireless connection and instead of overwriting the changes it became a new connection. I now have what I want in terms of settings but I want to delete the old connection. How do I do this?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

in your control panel, in your network connections: you should be able to right click on it and delete it...if its trying to acquire an address, you may need to disable it first.

I had a hard time putting what I had a problem with in words. But actually the problem is an extra SSID I don't want. Do I delete this the same way or is it different?

youd have to delete that from the properties of the wireless connection if its on the menu i think you are on. if its on that list you dont really have to delete it, just make sure that your primary connection is the one you still have....if you are still broadcasting the ssid when you search for available wireless networks, you may have just found a new one to sign on to.

I had a hard time putting what I had a problem with in words. But actually the problem is an extra SSID I don't want. Do I delete this the same way or is it different?

If I reset the router will all the SSIDS I created go away?

If you perform a hard reset on the router, any existing settings will default back to factory. But that is on the router side. Most models of consumer WiFi routers will only support 1 SSID. What model WiFi router are you using? Please keep in mind that all settings will be gone. Many times you can back up the config through the http web access page before attempting this process. This will only remove the configurations from the router. You still may see the network profile in you WiFi connection software. May of the previous posts assumed that you were using Windows to configure the WiFi network connections. Many brands of hardware utilize different software to manage WiFi profiles and connection properties. If you want to make the SSID that is listed on your computer to go away you will need to go to the specific configuration software and delete the profile. There is one other possibility...There are a few dominant manufacturers of consumer WiFi gear. Most use the same or similar SSID's as a default....If you are in close proximity to a neighbor's router you may in fact see their default SSID being broadcast out. It's something to consider.

I have a linksys WRT54G

That model router only supprts one SSID. Can you please let me know where you see the other SSID?

Hi,
I actually have exactly the same problem. About a year ago I set up a wireless network with one SSID. Since then I've reinstalled XP on all my PCs (several times) and reconfigured my router (different SSID).

The thing is, I still see the old SSID when I browse available networks. It's definitely my SSID because it's got the same WEP password (I use WPA now). The signal strength is only around 30-50% where as my current wireless network is around 95%.

DHCP was disabled (and still is) so if I try to connect to it, it doesn't give me any errors, but I can't access any network resources with it.

Kind of curious as to how come the SSID is still being displayed.

My router is the Netgear WGT624v2.
Cheers,
Rich.

How do you perform a hard reset on a router?

How do you perform a hard reset on a router?

they usually have a reset button somewhere at the back. a small hole you have to use a pin to get to the button.

3com routers are rather strange - you have to take a straight rj45 cable and connect the wan port with one of the lan ports. then power up the router and wait till the light start flashing slowly.

I'm having this same problem, and i know for a fact that someone is using my old/unprotected connection. I was able to lock my new connection but can't lock my old one. I can't seem to delete my old SSID

To delete unuse wireless profile SSID type the following in command prompt:
>netsh wlan delete profile <profile id>
e.g. if your ssid is Hello Windows
>netsh wlan delete profile "Hello Windows"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.