I have a wired ADSL router with 2 computers connected through it. Both systems can access the internet and can otherwise act independently without any problems. The only thing that we can't seem to figure out is how to connect directly from one PC to the other for the purposes of filesharing and such. Here is everything I can think of that's relevant:

1. PC #1: Windows XP Media Centre
2. PC #2: Windows XP Professional
3. The Workgroup name is the same for both systems
4. "Use Simple Filesharing" has been unchecked in both systems' Folder Options
5. A static IP address has been assigned to each system for the purposes of port forwarding
6. Our desired folders have been shared, with full permissions granted
7. When PC #1 attempts to connection to PC #2 there is a login prompt, the sign in details for which no one can figure out
8. When PC #2 attempts to connect to PC #1 the following error message appears:

\\[Computer Name] is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this service to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

9. Both computers show up in Network Places (albeit they are inaccessible)
10. "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is enabled on both systems' network connections
11. The firewall on each system has had our network added to its "Trusted Networks" zone

That's about all I can think of :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Paddy,

Can you try disabling the firewalls on both clients for me, then attempt connecting. Also try connecting via \\<internal ip address>\

If you are protected by hardware firewall (your router) running ICF (windows firewall) on both machines can be counterproductive and unnecessary.

Give that a whirl and let me know how it works out.

Jon

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.