Ok, I have one laptop that can see the whole network (it's a windows 2000/XP/OS X network). We have a router at 192.168.1.1 and then that goes to two hubs, and then off of one of the hubs is the WAP. I can ping the gateway (the 192.168.1.1), but I can't see the internet or ping any of the DNS we have. I'm on XP. Any laptop I bring over that has XP connects to the network and is on the net with no problems. I've sat a laptop next to mine and compared them side by side and I still can't figure out why mine won't connect since the settings are pretty much identical. We've tried opening up as much security as possible (disabling mac acddress filters, etc.) and still no internet. Yet when I go home I'm on the net as soon as I turn on the computer.

Here's my ipconig/all report while on the problem network:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mobilebrain

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ Wireless Car

dbus Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-C8-AD-8C-AD

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.15

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.221.208.5

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 07, 2004 8:39:41 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 08, 2004 8:39:41 AM

It's network connection 2 because I've removed it and "installed" a new one while trouble shooting, and I'm too lazy to name it. But it's the only network connection.

So why will my laptop see the network, but not the internet on this network. But it will see both at home.

Have you tried setting up static IP addresses? What happens if you give the machine 192.168.1.16 instead of .15?

How is the WAP connected to the hub? Is that with a crossover cable, an uplink port, or is it just straight-through patch cabling?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.