i want to set up about 20 to 30 logins and create a file server and i want to use a network for testing out things

could you tell me step by step how to set up a network and what programs our good for maintaing a network

also what would i need

cheers
bondi 007

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

you wont need anything apart from what i mentioned in the "whats a switch" thread. All the software is built into the OS

You will not be able to have logins on XP home! Xp home is crappy for networking.

ive got xp pro and what is this thing i think its called active directory

cheers
bondi 007

its for networking yes but i think you need a Window Sever 2003 machine to use it properley.

by the way XP pro only allow like 5 simultaneous connections. To get more you will need server 2003 + some licence packs. that would be over $3000

so once i get server 2003 then can i get more and five machines running through it

yes, but it's worth about $1000. you might look at implementing a linux domain server, which is the same thing, you should look at SLES 10. not olny will you learn more with linux, it'll be cheaper of free.

you need to buy CAL (Client Access Licences) for use with Server 2003 but like I said, thats not cheap. 40 CALS are like $4000 - $8000 and the server OS alone is likee $1000 to $2000

you need to buy CAL (Client Access Licences) for use with Server 2003 but like I said, thats not cheap. 40 CALS are like $4000 - $8000 and the server OS alone is likee $1000 to $2000

Is that for use with active directory? I thought you didn't need any more licenses.

you need CALS for any client that wants to join the domain

oh, but at the server 2003 setup, you can choose as many cals as you want right? that's what i noticed the many times i've set it up.

your only meant to choose as many as you have paid for ;)

how would ms ever know?

i got winserver for free, as i was part of an IT program, so i guess i don't really care.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.