I'm stumped! I installed a wireless router for a customer (Netgear wrg614) and for some reason the wired PC drop the connection and has to be restarted. Here is the low down of the setup.

Before the router the PC was hooked to the internet via a cable modem(comcast) never had a problem, nerver droped the internet.

After installing wireless router everything worked great, two wireless notebooks and one hardwired dell pc. After I left I recived a call the she could not get on the web, the wireless notebooks could but the wired pc could not.

I went back over and this is what i found. Hardwired PC had no DF gateway or IP. I restarted PC and BAM back on the web. Samething happend again after about 3hrs of setting. this time it had a DF gateway and IP. restarted pc and BAM back on the internet. All the while the lights on the cable modem and the lights on the router showed everything was connected and working fine.

It keeps doing this all the time any ideas???

Thanks!!!
Jason

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

sounds like a DHCP lease expiring on the LAN.

yeah i have this problem on my linksys router - you can change the default DHCP lease time from the router config interface

Rather than rebooting right clicking the connection and choosing repair usually works.

yeah i have this problem on my linksys router - you can change the default DHCP lease time from the router config interface

Rather than rebooting right clicking the connection and choosing repair usually works.

what do y ou guys think of this? I e-mailed NETGEAR and this is what they sent back to me.

""I understand your concern that you are facing an issue with wired connection being dropped. It is in this context, I would suggest you to please try the following troubleshooting steps:

Assign static IP and DNS address to the computer using the following steps:
1. Click Start -- Control Panel -- Network and Internet Connections.
2. Click on Network Connections.
3. Right click on Local Area connection icon (or Wireless Network Connection icon, respective to the connection that you are using) and click on properties.
4. Select Internet protocol TCP/IP from the list of components and click on properties.
5. Select use the following IP Address.
6. Assign IP address as: 192.168.1.30; subnet mask as: 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway as: 192.168.1.1
7. Select use the following DNS server address.
8. Assign primary DNS address as: 192.168.1.1 and secondary as: 4.2.2.2
9. Click OK and close the window.

I hope this will resolve the issue. In case you have further concerns then please email us back.

Regards,

Gaurav Malhotra
Netgear Support""

Think that will do any good. Think it could be a bad router??

Thanks Jason

Basically the guy is telling you to use static IP addresses instead of dynamic (DHCP) addresses. The advantage of static IP addresses is that they never expire, which is probably why your network connection is being dropped.

yes try it and see

also check the powersaving function of your NIC - mine disconnects from the network after a period of inactivity

and it can't hurt to upgrade the drivers for the wireless cards in the PC.

and it can't hurt to upgrade the drivers for the wireless cards in the PC.

The nic in this pc is on the motherboard.

The nic in this pc is on the motherboard.

chipset drivers then

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.