Ok, been having this problem with limited or no connectivity sign that always pop up when i turn on my computer. Now im sure most of you all heard of this problem, but ive tried everything to get rid of it, from creating new connections, to downloading patches off the internet for this problem. It was said that windows XP ,service pack 2, had a bad update causing this problem, they did have a solution but it didnt work for me!! This problem only happens once in awhile, ill turn my computer on, then connect, but my local area connection says limite or..... either way, and sometimes it will work , but others it will just disconnect me from internet, MSN, but for some programs such as games like online Poker and what not will still work. the only way i can get my internet back working is to reboot computer, and this gets annoying!! Anyone out ther have any idea how to fix this??
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

they r is no fix for it, its problem with lan connection chck with ur isp, if wireless chck with isp to increase the signal.

Are you using a Linksys Router? Going to the ISP is not going to do you any good cause the issue is not on their end. I had this problem happen to me with what i thought was out of the blue, but I now see what chain of events cause this to happen. Good news is, because of this I have become somewhat of a subject matter expert on this error, bad news is there is no easy way to fix this.

CAUSE:
From what I have gathered is if you are trying to use a wireless connection on a linksys router (mine is a WRT54G or sommething like that @ work while replying to this) and your running windows xp with SP2 as the OS, when you go to set up your security (either WEP or WPA) this will kick off the problem. Linksys says it is because there is an issue with the loopback address and your DHCP getiing/assigning an IP outside the range. Also multiple firewalls (windows on XP is on by default and your router firewall is enabled, plus if you have a third party like mcAfee or Norton running..man can someone say paranoid :o) can contribute as well. Microsoft plays the blame game simplar, blaming the linksys drivers working with SP@ as the issue.

Solution:
I have tried a few solutions for this and so far no luck with a solution that will let me run the same enviroment I have set up now. But just because it didn't work for me maybe they will work for you. try the following

1. disable wireless zero's from running on your machine. to do this go to Start>Run> and type "MSCONFIG" select the services tab and scroll all the way to the bottem and uncheck the wireless zero's box. Restart the system and see if it works.

2. MS has a patch that is supposed to address the issue, but it didn't work for me. I don't have the URL, but a search off of their site will get you to it.

3. Delete and reset up your network. By this I mean on all of your computers, new SSID assigned and DO NOT choose any wireless security. The disable the windows firewall and any thrid party fiirewall ( no worries, they can be turned on afterwards and your router is still running it's firewall). Bring everything back up (less setting up WEP or WPA) and your should be able to get online. Downside no WPA or WEP security.

3. Last resort, scrap XP and run something else, I went back to Win2k on my laptop for now till either Linksys or MS fix the issue.

I hae not tried using a diffrent router all together, which I may try tonight and please note that all your hard wired comps on the network should be working just fine, for some reason it's only the wireless ones.

Hope this helps, and special shout out to microsoft to making me for forcing me to become this SME more then what I wanted too :)

Hey,

This was the first discussion that came up when I searched for a similar problem that I am having with my Netgear wireless router. It worked great until I set up WPA-PSK security as well as using MAC addressing.

Funny thing, I have 3 different laptops trying to access the network. One of them works like a charm, logs in every time easily. The other 2 tend to churn while trying to acquire a network address. I haven't been able to find out what is different between the one that always works and the other 2 that rarely work.

But thanks for giving me some places to start...

From what you have put here I cannot be sure this is the solution to your problem, if it is not your solution, perhaps it can lead you to the solution.

Occasionally our Cable and/or DSL providers will change something on their end that 'limits' the number of PCs that can connect to the interent. When they do this you can connect a PC directly to the DSL / CableModem and surf the internet. (Hopefully you have a 'software Firewall' with this limiting configuration)

If you have a hardware firewall (i.e. Router/Firewall Hub) or simply want to connect multiple PCs to the internet you must 'CLONE' your Router using the Ethernet MAC address that your PC comes up with when directly connected to the DSL / CableModem.

Don't expect help from your provider as they want to charge you extra for each additional PC. Brings back memories of other mistakes companies have made in order to get another buck (Apple with proprietary royalty fees; IBM w/ MicroChannel Bus Architecture - again wante royalty fees for third parties to develop and the list goes on....) from a customer.

If this is your problem here is a link to how to clone your MAC address with a Linksys Router, other manufacturer routers might vary a little bit, but just knowing about 'cloning' will save you hours of frustration from 'customer no service' provider's customer support centers.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1040&p_created=1086911813&p_sid=ciOdZFii&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=354&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVJvYWQgUnVubmVy&p_li=&p_topview=1

Isn't cloning only required for cable connections, not DSL?

Isn't cloning only required for cable connections, not DSL?

From what I understand, cloning is required for a 'router' (whether it is DSL, CableModem does not matter) where you need to route information from multiple PCs on one network segment (Ethernet hub, series of Ethernet hubs) to another network segment or in this case via DSL / Cablemodem to the internet via your ISP. By cloning you avoid paying unnecessary 'additional' fees for an additional IP address. Each PC connected to a segment (hub) MUST have a unique IP (Ethernet) address.

Keep in mind that you can 'route' packets of information using a hardware router type of device or through a PC with two network adapters in it, granted the PC method (sometimes called a gateway) is a little slower, then a hardware router, yet some people like to run a 'software firewall' on a PC (usually Linux these days, though I could tell you stories about 'Token Ring' Gateways...thankfully those days are behind me) and put PC's behind this firewall. Where with a hardware firewall/router you are dependent on the firewall software that comes with your router. (Most hardware routers today come with firewall software preinstalled and work fine.) To keep it simple, the hardware/firewall router is the way to go. These usually have 3 regular ports and a DMZ port so if you only have 3 or less PCs, this is all you need. But if you have more then 3 PCs and you want protection you will need to put a 'network hub' (think of them like a power strip where a power strip goes into one outlet and gives you more outlets, a network hub does the same thing, goes into one port and gives you more ports) on one of the 3 non-DMZ ports.

Network hubs get a bad rap, if you configure the cables correctly (straight through Ethernet cables vs 'crossed' you should not have any problems) There are abundant help sites on line that explain how to wire up cables, configure cross-patch cables (if you even need them, most people do not) and wire them together. Heck you can buy Ethernet cables at a local computer store if you do not want to make your own. Definitely the easiest way to go. I would not be afraid to use a hub if you need more connections.

The ISP can set an option (hardware or software) on their end that will only allow you to connect to the internet with one and only one Ethernet (IP) address. When they do this you have a choice. You can pay them a fee for an additional Ethernet address or you can 'clone' your router and share the ONE Ethernet address with all the computers on your segment (network, hub) for free...no additional fees...and in some cases if you have two or more people surfing to the same internet site, with caching, it is actually faster for additional internet surfers to access information as the first person grabs the page to be viewed and the other PCs on the segment get the page from the router's cache. Caching reduces the burden on the ISP, which in many people’s opinion is another reason it is silly to pay them an additional fee for providing no additional service.

There are even routers that will let you set 'service' levels, more expensive and not for the casual user, but good if you have someone in your house hogging the bandwidth from your ISP. Something I want down the road, but most people never need. Craig

If your having ongoing problems with your connection at the PC end.
It's possible that your TCP/IP Stack has become corrupt.

XP SP2 users can type "netsh winsock reset" in command prompt, which will flush the TCP/IP stack, and you'll need to reboot your machine.
Lots of long-winded information here. Try that, and let us know the results.

Drag.

Seriously, what is with reawakaning threads from like a year ago?

commented: It's an epidemic. +12

NOTED: (From the other thread that it's to visuss).

I generally only look at the last thread, i'll look more thorough from now on

My intention was not to stalk you :). I thought this link might be of help if some one else is going to lookup this thread to resolve the same issue.,

I was actually referring to jbennet, but nevermind :)

Run Network Diagnostics on Windows to Debug Your Connections ...

:-/
Hi, many have said you have to enter different demands or download from different links then reboot. Why not just plug your network cable back in, then run the Linksys Easylink Advisor, clink on the action tab, select "unwire this computer". You then should have an excellent connection to your network.

I hope that this helps.

You need to upgrade the routers firmware. Go to home.cisco.com (they own linksis) and click on support. Then click on your routers model/type. Then click on upgrades/firmware. It will then ask you for your version. It is the last letter & number on the back of your router in the serial number. Then it will give a list of your firmware upgrade. Download it and save it on to your desktop. It will likley save as a .bin file

Next type 191.168.1.1 in intenet search bar. It will open your linksys wireless router main configuations area. Click on wireless. Then click on upgrades. Then browse your deskdop and open the firmware download .bin file. Then click on upgarde. It will take a minute to do its things, then reboot the router on its own.

Then reset your internet service providers modem. Reset your computer.
POW, your back in business! Awesomeness!

You need to upgrade the routers firmware. Go to home.cisco.com (they own linksis) and click on support. Then click on your routers model/type. Then click on upgrades/firmware. It will then ask you for your version. It is the last letter & number on the back of your router in the serial number. Then it will give a list of your firmware upgrade. Download it and save it on to your desktop. It will likley save as a .bin file

Next type 191.168.1.1 in intenet search bar. It will open your linksys wireless router main configuations area. Click on wireless. Then click on upgrades. Then browse your deskdop and open the firmware download .bin file. Then click on upgarde. It will take a minute to do its things, then reboot the router on its own.

NOTED: (From the other thread that it's to visuss).

I generally only look at the last thread, i'll look more thorough from now on

i have connected 20 pcs with switch which is connected to dsl router which in tern connected to isp modem.all the pcs status is limited or no connectivty.
i've tried renewing ip address,reseting the router,but it didn't work.
the only pc working is the one which is connected to router directly.
pls pls help me

i have connected 20 pcs with switch which is connected to dsl router which in tern connected to isp modem.all the pcs status is limited or no connectivty.
i've tried renewing ip address,reseting the router,but it didn't work.
the only pc working is the one which is connected to router directly.
pls pls help me

please open your own thread instead of hijacking other old threads... reply with your own thread. It could be just your splitter is faulty.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.