I need help finding the easiest way to transfer files from a desktop computer running XP to a laptop running XP. I have tried connecting the computers directly sing an ethernet cable, but I can't get the Files and Settings transfer wizard to work.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Did you use a "crossover" Ethernet cable or just a standard Ethernet cable? When you connect two computers directly together, a standard Ethernet cable won't work; you need a crossover cable instead.

(I'm moving this to the networking forum, as your question is directly network-related.)

Hey, i found a cool program that'll let u use any type of ethernet cable to transfer files. Its called NetSupport Manager 8.6. You can find it on www.download.com. Hope that helps! :)

i love the way peopel like to find software to make hardware do things they were not supposed tooo... id be less worred of a few pounds to buy a cross over cable than install and run some unknown software

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.