Hello Daniweb community,

Recently I bought a new harddrive. Below is a link to the manufacturer's website and the model:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...D&locale=en-US

I connected the drive according to the instructions and then booted up my computer. The drive got detected in the BIOS so i booted up Windows. I then went to the following section: (rough translation as I run a non-english version of windows)

Control Panel -> Computer administration -> disk administration

There I partitioned the disk as a primary disk and formatted it. The partition received the full capacity of the drive (1397,26GB) and I selected "quick format".

At first sight, the drive seemed to work well. However, I soon found out that when I deleted a file from this disk it didn't really get removed while the computer was on. When I delete a file it looks deleted. But when I leave the directory and come back later it's back again. When i try to delete the file once more I now receive the following error message (translated):

Cannot delete <filename>. Access denied.

Check if the disk is full or protected against writing and that the file is not currently in use.

When I reboot my computer the file does not get shown anymore and appears deleted as it should be when i deleted it the first time.

I thought it might have been because i selected a quick format instead of a regular one so i formatted the drive again and this time choose for a regular format.

I selected the following settings:

Filesystem: NTFS.
Clustersize: Standard.
Quickformat: No.
Enable file- and directorycompression: No.

My system runs Windows XP professional with Service Pack 3 installed.
The question is: Did I do something wrong when installing the disk, or is the disk defect?

Thanks in advance,

Gonbe

-edit-
I forgot to mention: This does not seem to happen for every file I try to delete from the drive.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

What sort of file are you deleting?

What sort of file are you deleting?

The issue occured on video files (.AVI) from what I have tested.
(ranging from 200MB to ~4GB) I have not tested other files yet, except very small files like txt files.

I've also checked the seagate website for new firmware, but there does not appear to be any. On the website I also found their HD tool called SeaTool. I've ran that partially and the 3 short tests showed the following to me:

SMART: Fail.
Short DST (Drive Self Test): Pass.
Short Generic: Pass.

However, my other harddrive (which i have for about 3 years now and never had anu issues with, also from seagate) also seems to fail that SMART test.

The application advices to download the DOS version of SeaTool and boot my computer with it. This is something I will be trying soon.

Another thing I suppose I can try is updating the chipset drivers for my motherboard.

A little more info about the drive:

Model Number: ST31500341AS.
Firmware revision: CC1H.

I have just installed the latest nforce chipset drivers, and the issue appears to be gone now. I can't say for sure because it does not happen on all files, but it hasn't occured since the update yet.

Will update this post if the problem persists. Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.