I am going to be putting together another computer and using another SSD. I was wondering what the required setting for and SSD in the bios is? Don't I set it to AHCI? I have SATA burners and also 3 HDDs though. What should I do for that situation?

5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by TheQuestor

SSD's are best run as AHCI. It also depends on which OS you are running and which chipsets they are running on. Modern OS's [vista/7/8] and newer chipsets need to support TRIM or else your SSD will degrade over time. Click Here is a great guide on optimizatons.

I thought AHCI was best but wanted to make sure.
I have another question then. I am going to be reformatting another computer with an SSD drive in it. What is the proper way to do that? I was reading somewhere that you should do something special but can't find it again to read what it has to say.

Some makers claim it is best to do a "secure" erase but I see no real benefit from that. If you are running OCZ [and god help you if you are :(] then you would use their toolbox to do it. But for initial load, just a normal format is fine. But for a "re-format" then a secure erase is recommended.

Edited by TheQuestor

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.