alc6379 posted

We've already got a word association game going on, feel free to participate in it here in the Geek's Lounge.

My personal opinion is that these posts are a waste of space, but others seem to like them. However, we should keep these things to a minimum.

Then the thread was blocked from further posts.
That is fine with me that the Mods on Dani Web do ot want us to post on their board as we are wasting there disc space.

So I have unsubscribed from all threads I was involved in and asked them to cancel my account.

See you all on another board, Good luck Dani Web you'll need it.

Regards

Kevin Smithers

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

probably no use in asking this, but where did you post it? and it is true that we already have a word association game going on. If you were offended that alc said it was a waste of time, thats just his personal opinion, im sure if it becomes a problem Dani will let us know. You dont have to leave. :(

probably no use in asking this, but where did you post it? and it is true that we already have a word association game going on. If you were offended that alc said it was a waste of time, thats just his personal opinion, im sure if it becomes a problem Dani will let us know. You dont have to leave. :(

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread19262.html

When I started this thread I didn't know there way already a post game going on coz it was like 3 pages down I only look at the first two pages.

But to lock a thread for no reason, and say that it is a waste of time to me says you don't want people to post on your board!!!

Well to me having these games going on helps people remember to come back to the board and have a look around. I let people run these games all the time on my own board for the above reason.

Sorry but I thought I had found a good board to chat with people and to get and give information with but I was wrong I guess.

:!:The role of a moderator is to filter out the rules of the board, stop people who break the rules and to stop people using bad language ect ect ect NOt to filter out conversation due to personal likes and dislikes.:!:

I'm not upset that the thread I started was stopped its just that if he had left it alone it would of been off the first page by tomorrow and forgotten about. But to block a thread for not breaking the rules WHY!!!!!

Kev

I can see what you are saying, but to resign from a forum because of one member isnt logical. If it really gets out of control(which it wont) Dani will see fit to stop it. alc doesnt post that much, in geeks lounge anyways. All I can say is, dont leave because one person makes ya mad, and just talk to Dani if you need to, she is cool like that ;)

Hello,

Welcome to DaniWeb Kevin.

It is important to remember that moderators are human beings too, and just like a referee in Basketball, sometimes we blow the whistle too soon, and other times, we let the game get too rough and people start throwing punches. Moderation is not an easy thing to do.

I would like to think of my position along the lines of "ambassador".

There is a lot more to DaniWeb than the Geeks Lounge. Hopefully, you will return, and participate in the community that is here.

Christian

Hay Christian,
Take a look at my posts mate I'm not here idle chit chat in the geeks lounge I have helped out a few people on this board but every time I pop in and there is no new posts for support in my knowledge area I pop into the geeks lounge to make a post I think it rood to visit and not contribute.

You are doing somthing right though coz I wouldn't of come back after the first few posts if I hadn't of get the replies and I did.

I am a moderator on 3 boards in total and I would never tell any of my members that they are wasting time posting messages or even block a thread with out a good reason, at the end of the day you have people using the board even a 8 page thread can only take up a few hundered K ot even that I bet. And you should be greatful that people are using your board othervise who else is going to click onto those advertisments and make you money.

Kev

Kevin,

I am the one who drug those games up again in the first place. I found them on page 10. I am an owner of several message boards and a global moderator at several more and admin at several more. Making duplicate threads does cause some problems if you have to pay for disk space. I doubt that Dani is really making very much money off this board. Boards don't usually generate much income. Perhaps the mod made a mistake but you also show immaturity in your response. I think that perhaps you are owed an apology but that you definately owe one as well. If I was admin here, I would have disabled your acct for 10 days when you first started squawking.

The general matter of suitability of topics for the 'Lounge' section has been raised for discussion amongst the administrative group.

I regret that feelings have been offended here, and would ask that patience be displayed to allow a more co-ordinated approach to be devised and implemented.

Kevin, I'd not like to see you discontinue visiting here over this single incident, despite the fact that in the absence of a more co-ordinated approach to this particular matter I give my support the decisions of other members of the admin/moderator team.

Catweazel,
I agree with you. Mods and Admin should show a united front even if there are disagreements. But by the same token, this seems to be a private issue that has been posted publically. I think that perhaps Kevin should have contacted the mod who upset him through the private message feature on the board and not tried to make the whole board look bad.

I always stand behind my Moderators even when in disagreement with them until we can have an open dialog in a non public forum. It is hard though to know exactly what to post or where to post it when you are new to a forum. I posted a problem in the wrong place and am very grateful that it was moved to the proper place.

If you the mods and admin here don't think that games are proper, I will refrain from posting on those threads even though I love them. Why? Because it is not my board and posting is a privelge and not a "right"

Fair point indeed. However, I also think that when such matters have been raised publically the situation can be taken advantage of for the benefit of all. Regrettable all round, but let's use it as a 'learning experience', eh? :D

I'll also move this to the 'Forum Feedback' section, where I think it more rightfully belongs.

One point and one point only I am goingt o make.

I don't like ASP but I would not stop a thread on one of my boards if someone was talking about it, so just because someone here does not like game threads it was topped and I was told I was basicly wasting valuble time and disk space.

I did send the person in question a private message and had no reply that is why I posted in the geeks lounge just air my views not to get into a debate about it, after my first post this thread should of been LOCKED as it is a waste of time and disk space :-)

I would just like to add 71 views so faron this thread, thats about 96SQL queries.

Pm alc and ask to open it beacuse that desision was a very bad one and it was a totally different game and I think he was just messing around with his powers.

Okay...

I figure it's time for me to weigh in on this thread. I've unlocked the thread, and folks are free to post in it and enjoy the intent of the thread.

I think it was the poster with the "potato pie" that threw me off, but I think I missed the point of the thread. I wasn't trying to throw around my powers or anything, I just believed it, at the time, to be redundant. My mistake-- a technical word association game is pretty cool, in my opinion.Further in concurrance with the concensus of the moderatorship, stuff like this isn't against the rules, and should not be locked.

So, I'll state it publicly, I don't really care for games like this, but I'm going to let the games fly unless they break a forum rule, despite what my feelings on them are.

Sorry about the potato pie thing LOL and you cold hearted soul you don't like games. Just kidding.

I'm sorry I'm so late in my involvement with this matter. I was away at a convention the past few days and just arrived home last night. I agree the thread shouldn't have been locked, and am very happy with how everyone dealt with the matter. Enjoy!

People can neither be totally wrong or right; just human.:)

Hi everyone,

So, I'll state it publicly, I don't really care for games like this, but I'm going to let the games fly unless they break a forum rule, despite what my feelings on them are.

Is this why you shut down my thread in the C/C++ forum on C++ is dying a slow death because of personal reasons or because you are an advocate of Microsoft. If you did then i think you have overstepped your boundaries. The reason you offered me was the argument could go on forever and thread was getting out of topic(which was due only to some members) Please clarify... alc

ps: I do not hate Microsoft

Richard West

>because of personal reasons
That's against the rules. None of the moderators (to my knowledge) would ever consider locking a thread for personal reasons.

>because you are an advocate of Microsoft
What does Microsoft have to do with C++ dying a slow death?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.