What do you think about Apple using Intel chips?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Very little actually. It's simply a sensible move on Apple's part, because Intel can more reliably produce adequate processors than IBM seems to be able to.

Won't effect software at all, probably, because existing software can still be run via a software technology to be called 'Rosetta'. Even if that proves to give a performance 'hit' (which it's reported not to) then it's still untrue to claim that existing software (won't run).

By the way, there's an existing topic about this in the appropriate forum section:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread25138.html

Hi,

I have to choose other. I think it is great that Apple is looking at Intel for processor support, and I think the programs will work nicely.

Apple's Mac line has already had 2 major computing shifts. The first time was when we went from Motorola 680x0 code to the PowerPC code (anyone remember fat binaries?) The second shift was from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. In both cases, the world did not stop, but yes, some notable thorns (hello QUARK!) did not optimize their software for the new platform in a timely matter.

I am excited.

Christian

cpu is low for priorities list. they should mainly be focusing on other things for their computer. dont get me wrong i really like apple computers but they should be focusing more on their other things such as some of things they cant match up to that microsoft has that apple doesnt. the only thing apple really has going for them is the image manipulation.

- Dave

cpu is low for priorities list. they should mainly be focusing on other things for their computer. dont get me wrong i really like apple computers but they should be focusing more on their other things such as some of things they cant match up to that microsoft has that apple doesnt. the only thing apple really has going for them is the image manipulation.

- Dave

With the exception of gaming, what exactly is the Mac lacking?

I can't think of a single category that a Mac can't compete with a PC on nowadays. Sure, you might not get completely native ports of many PC programs for the Mac, but I'm not really seeing a lack on their side of the fence.

With the exception of gaming, what exactly is the Mac lacking?

I can't think of a single category that a Mac can't compete with a PC on nowadays. Sure, you might not get completely native ports of many PC programs for the Mac, but I'm not really seeing a lack on their side of the fence.

Macs lack in alot of respects. Software availability being their biggest obstacle. I would not say they lack in power just simply they lack in market share and market compatability. I see more software coming out for Linux these days than I see for Mac.

- Dave

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.