Hey everyone -

I'm graduating with a BS in Information Technology soon, but feel like I know nothing. I'm worried that I won't find a decent job when the time comes. I know C++, C, and a little Python, and I spent a good portion of my teen years building computers, which I'm really good at. Can someone please recommend any books and languages to learn? Thanks!!

Callen91
21/FL

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi there! Welcome to DaniWeb. IT is such a huge field that it's impossible to learn enough of any small discipline in order to be proficient at it. I think the job of school is to give you an overview of everything there is out there, so you can decide whether you're more of a hardware guy, or a programming guy, or a web development guy, etc. The first stop is to find your niche.

Consider school as a low-level apprenticeship where you learn just enough to be dangerous! :-) If you had good grades and your school is considered competent in turning out graduates with some capability, you can get a starting position in many organizations given the current need for IT and software professionals. You will learn more in a professional position than you did in school, because you will have to produce in order to advance! A lot of us old farts (I say that about myself because I am now 65) are going to retire in a few years, so new blood is definitely needed. Get a job in a position that has the possibility of being of interest to you, and find an old fart like me to be your mentor. I have mentored many promising engineers over the years, and some of them are now senior staff for tier-one companies like Intel and Applied Materials. Right now, I am performing such a role for several young staff members in my organization.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.