I just read an article about blogging and SEO efforts and the main thrust of the article was that businesses that encourage their employees to blog would be well-served if they encouraged the use of important keywords throughout the blog entries. So a keyword-rich blog entry will help the organic SEO efforts but will the content ring true with the readers. If an employee blog is popular because the writer is good will his audience be turned off if the blog sounds like an infomercial. What does everyone think?

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Blogging can be good and helpful but with no links, even having a website or blog containing hundreds of pages, you, may not have top rankings. Unique content pages are certainly great and helpful but their effects would get doubled if accompanied by top links.

I personally have been turned off by a subjective blog but then again, would one expect to find objective blog in the first place, especially an employee's blog.

Interesting question. I think it's situational. If the blog adds value, I'll usually keep reading it. If I can get the same value from a witty and well-written blog elsewhere, I'll switch.

Value to me could be anything from a great source of information to a good laugh.

... Value to me could be anything from a great source of information to a good laugh. ...

I'd tend to agree.

I enjoy reading blog articles that are well-written, information filled, industry insightful, cutting-edge and often controversial in nature.

I think blogs are a perfect place for employees of a company to show-off their skills and expertise in a particular subject, display their more human side and invite commentary by potential customers.

Company blogs are an excellent addition to serious web site promotion strategies.

Blogs are basically for personal use but this is the best way for getting instant traffic and very helpful from the seo point of view. Most of the people create blogs and timely update their services through it.

blogs are now used as a referral site for any bussiness site.. it is a good way to drive traffic to your site.

Blogs are best way to market your website. Search engines loves blogs and usually index them pretty fast.....so a link from a blog would also help to get traffic and in other ways.

Blogs are basically for personal use but this is the best way for getting instant traffic and very helpful from the seo point of view. Most of the people create blogs and timely update their services through it.

I attended a panel discussion on web 2.0 in the corporate world recently and one of the panelists said that his company is getting great results with blogging. I think that the type of business will dictate the type of social media you use but I definitely think that blogs are for more than personal use.

If you have a good blog with either interesting writing style or interesting content then people will keep coming back. Also, one thing that I have been focusing on is using more of my keywords within the post itself and I have noticed increased results in SERPs.

If the content is in line with what I’m looking for, I don’t see myself having a problem; however, if the aim of the blogger is only to get me to the blog by using appropriate keywords, I would surely be unhappy. Besides, like m4u said, if I can get the same thing presented in a better way, I too, would switch.

SNIP

Whatever it is, If the blog is interesting to read I can't see why people won't return to read it daily. You don't just need to have keywords in your articles, more important are quality backlinks.

People need to first find you, and the second have a reason to return to you... simple as that if you ask me.

Blogging can be good and helpful but with no links, even having a website or blog containing hundreds of pages, you, may not have top rankings. Unique content pages are certainly great and helpful but their effects would get doubled if accompanied by top links.

Both works together, Links help build traffic, unique content maintains it!
A blog with quality unique content people will want to link to. That way the links will increase naturally! But if you don't get the words of the site out through links, people wont see the site ( the world to come to your door) and wont be able to read the unique content in it and therefore won't attract the natural links.

Beyond Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon and Twitter, does anyone else have some favored ways of publicizing your blogs. I have one of my clients using their Linkedin profiles to promote their blogs using the blog apps that are available in linkedin.

I find that I get good traffic from Reddit and Mixx as well. I only started doing SB, so before that a lot of my traffic was via search engine and forum posts in content related forums.

Also, another good way is going to your favorite blogs and posting comments along with a link back to your site. If you like that blog, other people will do, and may visit your site also.

Also, add SB buttons to your posts so other people can post your blogs on their accounts. I don't even have a Twitter account and I get good traffic from them because of other people.

I find that I get good traffic from Reddit and Mixx as well. I only started doing SB, so before that a lot of my traffic was via search engine and forum posts in content related forums.

Also, another good way is going to your favorite blogs and posting comments along with a link back to your site. If you like that blog, other people will do, and may visit your site also.

Also, add SB buttons to your posts so other people can post your blogs on their accounts. I don't even have a Twitter account and I get good traffic from them because of other people.

Something I am doing with one of my clients is having them use the Blog App in Linkedin to display their blog updates in their Linkedin profiles and they have gotten some good response and it looks like the SEO isn't hurting either.

I think blogging may be is not the most effective and important part of web or seo,,, but still it makes sense,, for example I like to read blog articles if they are really informative and interesting

Something I am doing with one of my clients is having them use the Blog App in Linkedin to display their blog updates in their Linkedin profiles and they have gotten some good response and it looks like the SEO isn't hurting either.

I believe Facebook has this feature as well. You just have to make sure the blog is set up to ping out.

I think blogging may be is not the most effective and important part of web or seo,,, but still it makes sense,, for example I like to read blog articles if they are really informative and interesting

I don't think anyone here has said or would say that blogging was the most effective or important part of the web or SEO, but that it can be an effective and important part of an SEO plan if done properly.

Blogging always plays an important technique in getting backlinks. Backlinks will increase the traffic. Make sure it is brief, thoughtful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.