Hi everyone,

Im a newbie with all of this! And i just wanted to know more about creating backlinks for my website.

If for instance i leave 100 backlinks with the urls of my website on Facebook or Myspace in the form of 100 separate comments would this count as one backlink to google and the other search engines? Or will it count as 100 backlinks to the search engines?

Also does anyone know of a good free accurate backlinks checker online? As i would like to get an accurate view of how many backlinks i actually have on my website. Sometimes when i have checked some of the backlinks i have left on Myspace and Facebook have not been listed and i wondered if anyone would have an idea of why this was?

And lastly are some backlinks more relevant or important than others to the search engines? And how do you create the perfect backlink which will appear in the list when you check for all of your backlinks?

Many thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 31 Replies

You can use yahoo explorer to check backlinks to your sites. We provide yahoo explorer data in our link building accounts so you can view it with one click of a button at any time, and we also allow you to build one way links with anchor text you choose.

Member Avatar for arz7ku

If for instance i leave 100 backlinks with the urls of my website on Facebook or Myspace in the form of 100 separate comments would this count as one backlink to google and the other search engines? Or will it count as 100 backlinks to the search engines?

I have seen variable results for this. I have seen the multiple urls as comments as backlinks at one url, and I have also seen 100 comments in one website as one backlink. For example, in google, it usually asks, "More results from website.com"

Also does anyone know of a good free accurate backlinks checker online? As i would like to get an accurate view of how many backlinks i actually have on my website. Sometimes when i have checked some of the backlinks i have left on Myspace and Facebook have not been listed and i wondered if anyone would have an idea of why this was?

There are several good backlink checkers:

http://www.backlinkwatch.com/
http://www.webtoolhub.com/tn561345-backlink-checker.aspx

And lastly are some backlinks more relevant or important than others to the search engines? And how do you create the perfect backlink which will appear in the list when you check for all of your backlinks?

Yes, from my experience, some backlinks hold higher value than others. For example, if you comment on a popular blog with high quality traffic you will get good response to your own backlink. So, it does help posting on high quality websites.

Thanks for your responses arz7ku,

They were very helpful indeed for a newbie like myself!

Is it true that google and the other search engines only register one backlink per website? Or if you had a hundred backlinks on Facebook would they all be counted and registered by Google?

And one last point. I found that sometimes when i send comments to friends on Myspace with a url of my website that i can see it listed in the backlinks i have for my website but other times (i have left hundreds on Myspace!) they are not appearing at all in any count of backlinks for my website and i just wondered why this was? Does a backlink have to follow a particular criteria? Or formula? As i think all the comments i have sent were pretty much the same general text and a url to my website.

Many thanks.

Thanx thefandango,

For your advice too! It was very helpful.

Member Avatar for arz7ku

Is it true that google and the other search engines only register one backlink per website? Or if you had a hundred backlinks on Facebook would they all be counted and registered by Google?

It mostly depends on the web page you are posting a link on. If it is a public page and is accessible from anywhere, there are chances that search engines may index it. Hundreds of links may be counted and indexed by google, but it may not show them right away.

And one last point. I found that sometimes when i send comments to friends on Myspace with a url of my website that i can see it listed in the backlinks i have for my website but other times (i have left hundreds on Myspace!) they are not appearing at all in any count of backlinks for my website and i just wondered why this was? Does a backlink have to follow a particular criteria? Or formula? As i think all the comments i have sent were pretty much the same general text and a url to my website.

Many thanks.

A website is not quantified by following one criteria by search engines, especially google. There are many other factors. Quality of the website you are posting your link on also matters. If someone else had spammed that website, chances are google may not count it as quality link. For example, I recently went to digg an ezine page, but it wouldn't let me submit it, 'cause it was marked as spam link. Apparently, many people had submitted different kind of links from there and it got blocked for sometime.

As an IM, I would suggest you to keep backlinking with relevant niche of your website. Backlinks get crawled instantly but may not show up right away.

it depends on the search enigne, if you link in a quality backlinks, google will count that as one. Download an seo open toolbar to your browser, this tool checks accurate backlinks.

facebookis nofollow, if you want to get backlinks, you should leave your link at some do follow sites,and you can use "no dofollow" to check whether the link have effect.

Backlinkwatch is best tool

I am a relative "newbie" to seo as well but i've found that SEO Book's toolbar has a lot of good functionality and one of its icons is for the Yahoo backlink directory. So not only can you check on backlinks pretty easy (although I think backlink watch is better) it will also help you learn about a bunch of other important site and traffic metrics.

Can We create our own backlink watch?

Google's backlink algorithums are constantly changing so what may be true today may not be true tomorrow. You can always check the number of backlinks you have through yahoo site explorer or site: your site url.

It's really great tool because it's my personal experience

All the backlinks are great, but there is a thing that I wanna remind u--that no backlinks checker tools are 100% accurate!

backlinkwatch is a good tool. You can also check your backlinks in google search bar by typing your url in inverted commas.

1. Right, they would be calculated as 100 backlinks to your site if they are on different pages.
2. backlinkhunter or backlinkwatch
3. Of course, there are authority sites within any niches and often they get higher PR.

Wish this help,

Thanx Airforceone,

This is very helpful indeed.

If you put 300 different comments with backlinks on a website would these all be counted as genuine backlinks or is there a danger that you could be blacklisted by Google?

Many thanks.

If you put 300 different comments with backlinks on a website would these all be counted as genuine backlinks or is there a danger that you could be blacklisted by Google?
Many thanks.

Most, if not all links would probably get filtered by Google. When ranking and categorizing websites for their SERPS, The mighty GOOG, looks for natural linking patterns. Leaving an abundant amount of comments on one site for the sole purpose of getting more backlinks, is not exactly natural behavior on the web.

Hi Jay11,

I thought so! Would google just filter most of these backlink comments out or would they penalise you for leaving so many comments/backlinks on the same website?

Many thanks.

Well it depends... are these comments being posted over a "natural" period of time? Or are they being posted all at once?

You should be fine if you are commenting and participating in a natural manner but if Google or the site owner sees that you are bombing a site with hundreds of comments in an very short period of time, you will most likely be flagged and penalized.

http://www.backlinkwatch.com/ and Yahoo's site explorer are the two that I use a lot!

That's great but NO ONE wanted to know.

Ooops - my bad.. you were referring to an older question. Doh! :$

Ooops - my bad.. you were referring to an older question. Doh! :$

Kind of confused! What do u mean?

I didn't realize that someone asked "does anyone know of a good free accurate backlinks checker online?" And thought you were just arbitrarily plugging backlinkwatch.com and Yahoo! Site Explorer.

count only the do follow links ...

i prefer backlinks watch

Try this also http://www.domain-pop.com/. This might help in your backlinks tracking. If you would like your backlinks to be counted by the search engines promote your website to 'dofollow' blogs and forums. Try this firefox add-ons to see if the website is a 'nofollow' (it will be highlighted when it is a 'nofollow') https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5687

SNIP

Links don't bring in traffic or SEO if they are from directories or crap sites that nobody visits.

It's all about the quality of the links and knowing where to find them. What other websites does your target market visit online?

Do some research into your keywords/industry/competition/customers/etc and you'll probably find some great links out there that will bring in tons of traffic!

One useful tool for checking the quality of backlinks is to analyze the Page Rank of the page you have a backlink on. Also check the amount of other backlinks.

Ideally you want 'do follow' links with high PR and low # of outgoing backlinks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.