I run an entertainment website and currently have my website title in the Title tag of every page, although I'm considering dropping it for SEO as I have read that any non keyword weakens the relevancy. Should I do this?

For example, a current title reads "Random Game - K******.net", and I'm considering changing to just "Random Game". I've noticed most sites include the " - Site", and in a variety of ways: " | Site", " at Site", " :: Site", etc. If you recommend keeping the website title in the tag, is there a better or worse way to represent it?

Thanks!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You can keep you URL in there, if you want, as a two word Title is very weak. Ideally, you should get your keyphrase and related word phrases (synonymous keyphrases, abbreviations, word variables, antonyms etc.) but do it in a way that is primarily intriguing for the potential web visitor, not specifically designed for the search engine and don't do this the same way on every webpage. Mix and match things. Forget keyphrases in some pages altogether. Be innovative for each webpage.

I don't think it matters if you have a strong website with many backlinks and good content. Content is king and you will rank well if you strong content and of course backlinks. But if you are relatively new and haven't developed the necessary content and links. You may want to leave out the site name.

I don't think it matters if you have a strong website with many backlinks and good content. Content is king and you will rank well if you strong content and of course backlinks. But if you are relatively new and haven't developed the necessary content and links. You may want to leave out the site name.

Ok, thanks for your comment.

Use your imagination for a minute. For your products or services, come up with a real powerful name, one you can stick in a dot com; to be used for branding purposes. Conger up something that other folks will think and talk about; whenever they think or talk about your product or service. Make the mental connection with the populace. The Title tag becomes the ideal webpage component to introduce the name to the qualified visitors.

SEO is about Internet marketing as much as it's about search engines and hits.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.