I was just in one of my Linkedin groups where a question was posed asking the following three sub-questions:

1. should you moderate a forum/site or allow unfettered freedom of speech?
2. are there any contexts where you should never moderate?
3. Are there any website currently that you know of that would fail in its objective if moderation did or didn't take place?

I know how I answered (pro-moderation) but I am curious to know what everyone else thinks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

To be honest if there was no moderation at all then just about any forum would pretty quickly drown in spam these days, simple as that.

To be honest if there was no moderation at all then just about any forum would pretty quickly drown in spam these days, simple as that.

I agree absolutely. The funny thing is that the person who started the thread at Linkedin actually seemed to be on the fence about this. As I read his comments it was almost as if he didn't know which was more important, maintaining the integrity of the forum or guaranteeing the free speech of all who are in his forum. To me it is clear, the forum is an extension of your business and its integrity is of the utmost importance in terms of providing your members a place where civilized discussion and discourse are the norm.

I have created and administered both moderated and unmoderated groups and my conclusion to your questions have been:

Insights Digital - Moderate. Yes, in concept, allow unfettered freedom of speech may espouse good will for the users but in the end, it will be a breeding grown for unrelated post and conversations which will dilute the purpose of the community in the first place.
Insights Digital - There are certain federal regulations regarding pharmaceutical products that penalizes for changing content which is a major concern for many pharmaceutical companies in launching certain types of social media campaigns.

3. Are there any website currently that you know of that would fail in its objective if moderation did or didn't take place?
Insights Digital - Good example is Craigslist. Due to recent news, Craigslist has beefed up its posting system to the point that countless ads are not automatically flagged and deleted for no obvious reasons. Just a glimpse into Craigslist discussion forum tells you this.

I have created and administered both moderated and unmoderated groups and my conclusion to your questions have been:

Insights Digital - Moderate. Yes, in concept, allow unfettered freedom of speech may espouse good will for the users but in the end, it will be a breeding grown for unrelated post and conversations which will dilute the purpose of the community in the first place.
Insights Digital - There are certain federal regulations regarding pharmaceutical products that penalizes for changing content which is a major concern for many pharmaceutical companies in launching certain types of social media campaigns.

Insights Digital - Good example is Craigslist. Due to recent news, Craigslist has beefed up its posting system to the point that countless ads are not automatically flagged and deleted for no obvious reasons. Just a glimpse into Craigslist discussion forum tells you this.

Alluding to one of your other posts, if Linkedin is the office, Facebook is the backyard and MySpace is the club, Craigslist is somewhere between a flea market and carnival. In terms of Social Media, craigslist is a fringe option that is best left to possible HR needs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.