what is a good program to write HTML in?

i am looking at Note Pad ++ right now since i will need it for lau soon but i would like some opions here first.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

A lot of the guys at my shop use Notepad++ but I started my programming in VI so I use gvim for windows. It's customizable(color schemes, code highlight, spell check) and does what I need it to do. There is also Ultra Edit and eclipse.

A good practice for learning HTML would be to use Notepad, or any other plain text editor, code highlight helps, but auto complete hurts the beginners. It's good practice to know what your doing, so you can do it encase you don't have all your tools available. If you're dependent on the auto complete, then you're helpless without your tool.

I know eclipse but when I started learning HTML I used notepad, I think it really helps you well to learn as a beginner. I suggest you don't get dependable upon auto complete. Use simple notepad and learn HTML effectively!

Latest version of HTML is HTML5 that include all feature of HTML.

since i was beginner i started from dreamweaver its the best application for editing and playing with HTML but its bit costly .so you can go with notepad++ ...very good editor .i had heard about it !sry i dont have any exp in working on it.!

Try HTML-KIT its a cool program for writing html code, it even helps by writing some of the code for you when you type a tag just like a query.

if you want to learn html really then use notepad or notepad++ (for tag highlighting). but dont use the tools like microsoft web developer or eclipse or RAD.
------Tirtharaj

Member Avatar for tawes01

I use notepad normally. But I am in the process of writing an HTML program in C++; I also often will write HTML... with pencil and paper. Obviously I type it up later, but it's fun to do it without a computer.

commented: Now that's awesome :D +1

Same here with the pencil and paper, I used to write out all my code with pencil and paper, just because I didn't have access to my computer on break while working in high-school. I do still use pencil and paper, but I've graduated to colored pencils and printed code for modifying. Colored highlighters and markers are good too.

I should upload a picture of my desk sometime, you wouldn't know if I worked as an artist or a programmer, except the SQL diagrams or class diagrams hanging on the walls.

"Good" is a matter of preference. Ultimately it's up to what you find easiest to use or the most effective. Color coordinated code with spacing is much easier to read and can save a lot of time when scanning for errors, but sometimes that can all just get in the way. Play with a few different text editors and see which works best for you.

Regards
Arkinder

i went ahead with notepad ++, i already know HTML5, i just use it's editor for CSS and Lau now, both of which i do not know yet.

Thanks for the help

Fortinbra@ i know what you mean, i edit and write code in C++, HTML, and Sad Script all the time in school, not in color normally but it takes up a huge amount of space.

what is a good program to write HTML in?

i am looking at Note Pad ++ right now since i will need it for lau soon but i would like some opions here first.

The best coding environment[program] is the one you feel comfortable with. Notepad++ is very nice for html, but since I mostly do scripting, Notepad suits me fine for both.

I use Aptana (by the way - I am using 2.0 not the Beta 3.0). Its great, has heaps of features, can do auto-complete (don't recommend using auto-complete for novices. Instead don't allow it by continuing to type yourself), code higlights, heaps of plugins (ie. php, databases, ruby, python, javascript, .etc) and it even can debug your javascript. That's all I know about Aptana but there may be more :D

best of all - ITS FREE

Member Avatar for tawes01

I use Aptana (by the way - I am using 2.0 not the Beta 3.0). Its great, has heaps of features, can do auto-complete (don't recommend using auto-complete for novices. Instead don't allow it by continuing to type yourself), code higlights, heaps of plugins (ie. php, databases, ruby, python, javascript, .etc) and it even can debug your javascript. That's all I know about Aptana but there may be more :D

best of all - ITS FREE

HEAP!!!!!!!!!!
(i'm a huge baltimore ravens fan...)
:):):):):):):):):):):)

I don't like heaps, I prefer lists, linked lists, or stacks. IENUMERABLEs are good too, especially if you like LINQ.

@ tawes01 - can you please reiterate what you are saying? I am making multiple meanings not a dominant one.

@ Fortinbra - yeah they're all great as well and fit comfortably in the context. By the way - were you mean to say Inumerables or something else? If so, please specify.

Is LINQ Microsoft's version of MySQL? What is it like?

I use komodo edit, any suggestions about that program?

commented: WOW :D :O +2

Wow, that's amazing. I think have heard of that program a long time ago. I think it might be better than Aptana ^_^ because if I wanted PHP in Aptana, I would have to download the plugin/extension.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.