Hi there,

about a week ago, i managed to get my hands on an old compaq ml350 server.

the server had two thirty gig seagate scsi hdds in it. these two drives were attached, via a scsi cable, to the features board of the server - a pci daughter board.

i tried installing ubuntu desktop edition on it but had big problems with the graphics.

anyway, the psu died the next day so that was the end of that.

a few days later, i managed to get my hands on another ml350 that was exactly the same as the old one, except in far better condition. this server, however, did not have the features board or scsi drives so i simply put the daughter board and drives into the new one.

i put a cd-drive in one of the blank drive slots and connected via ide to the main mother board.

i also added a new pci graphics card to eliminate the graphics problem.

once i had done this, i downloaded ubuntu server edition, burned it to a disk, and installed it on to one of the scsi drives in the server.

heres where the problems start.

i tried booting up ubuntu but for some reasone the server wouldnt boot. i went into the bios and found that scsi drives could not be used to boot. this was odd as server was booting nt 2000 from the scsi drives before i installed ubuntu on it.

so i tried installing an ide hdd and using that to boot but in the bios, the hdd was not being recognised, only the cd drive.

then i tried using a different ide cable - same result.

i also tried switching it between primary and secondary ide slots - it still wasnt being recognised.

finally i tried all the different jumper settings on the ide hdd - and it still wasnt recognised.

then i tried disconneting all of the ide devices including floppy to see if i could force it to boot up from scsi, which it wouldnt.

i have no idea how it booted up from scsi in the first place, before i installed ubuntu.

is there a certian bios setting i have to use?

is there something wrong with the bios?

please help!!!

The daught. board that you mentioned is probably the SCSI controller, once you take it out of a functioning system all the settings on the controller go to default and/or zero. I'd check around for some SCSI drive setup software as such drives require special settings on the controller board which usually has it's own special BIOS.
No boot IDE. I'm assuming that one or both of the IDE devices are rather old and the prob. with that is that some CD drives don't like being hooked up as slave drive. You might try setting up the CD as master and the HD as slave, it usually works.

I'm facing a similar problem myself, If I press F1 after installing the IDE HDD then the computer wants to boot from the IDE HDD. If I run fdisk the program tell:( s me there are no HDDs attached to my computer. I then tried loading Windows XP on the IDE HDD from within a running Windows XP on SCSI HDD. From the boot menu if I select the Operating sysstem on the IDE then the machine boots. The only major problem is that I cannot set the HDD to run in DMA mode. Assist

mqphill:
IDE devices have to have support from the system's bios or from a bios on a add on card such as a Raid device or 3rd party controller. Without such support fdisk can't see it. DMA controls are associated with the applicable controling device, system board, etc. I'm guessing that your primary boot device is the SCSI drive?
As I don't have a great deal of familiarity with SCSI devices all that I can advise is that most system boards DON'T support them and require a SCSI controller for that purpose, thus, whatever the issue you may be having has to be addressed from that standpoint. SCSI device setup/install programs/utilities are usually your best bet.

Compaq
ML350 server after the booting F1 ressume error I have chked scsi drive drive is ok. but not solve F1 error. how to going to baiose setup,and witch key presing.and firt time start server sow the error keyboard missing error.agaen sutdown server and start server do not give the key board missing error but.I have change coms battry but not solve F1 error.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.