I want to install a WD 7200 eide hard drive as a slave (2nd hard drive) on a asus p4p800 motherboard. The master hard drive is a seagate sata hard drive. My problem is the WD instructions only show you how to install a 2nd hard drive as if the first is also a eide hard drive. I see on the motherboard there are 2 sata plug in's. There is also a eide plug in so I believe it can be done. Im not the best at this stuff but it something to do why the hurricane is going on. Any instruction would be great. If i dont answer Ive lost power. the storm is coming Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

I want to install a WD 7200 eide hard drive as a slave (2nd hard drive) on a asus p4p800 motherboard. The master hard drive is a seagate sata hard drive. My problem is the WD instructions only show you how to install a 2nd hard drive as if the first is also a eide hard drive. I see on the motherboard there are 2 sata plug in's. There is also a eide plug in so I believe it can be done. Im not the best at this stuff but it something to do why the hurricane is going on. Any instruction would be great. If i dont answer Ive lost power. the storm is coming Thanks

I had the same problem with my system and it took me a while before I figured it was really simple to fix. I don't know if you already took care of the problem, but just in case you didn't..... I had 4 devices working through 2 EIDE ports including my WD hard drive and then a Seagate HD through primary on SATA. The problem was, whenever I would have the jumpers set correctly it would boot up and say Error running OS. What you need to do is go into your BIOS setup at bootup (mine was entered by alt+f2 or tab then delete) and going to advanced BIOS settings. Under the settings adjust the device to be SCSI instead of the HDD-0 or whatever that probably is in its place. This will then boot up your windows off your original hard drive while still allowing you access to your new hard drive and all other devices. Hope this helped.

I had the same problem with my system and it took me a while before I figured it was really simple to fix. I don't know if you already took care of the problem, but just in case you didn't..... I had 4 devices working through 2 EIDE ports including my WD hard drive and then a Seagate HD through primary on SATA. The problem was, whenever I would have the jumpers set correctly it would boot up and say Error running OS. What you need to do is go into your BIOS setup at bootup (mine was entered by alt+f2 or tab then delete) and going to advanced BIOS settings. Under the settings adjust the device to be SCSI instead of the HDD-0 or whatever that probably is in its place. This will then boot up your windows off your original hard drive while still allowing you access to your new hard drive and all other devices. Hope this helped.

Wow.. I dont know what you guys are doing wrong.. but I run sata and ide devices. Sata run on their own little cables... they dont need jumpers.. as far as I know. I havnt had any problems. My ide harddrive is on its own cable and it registers just fine. I dont understand why you are labeling a sata as a slave/master. That is sort of the point... as far as I know... that sata just are.. they are not slave or master on a cable. anyways.. not that that helps any..

Oh, just as a tip, i dont thin you have to touch the jumpers on the satas. Just put your ide as master. and you are good to go!

Wow.. I dont know what you guys are doing wrong.. but I run sata and ide devices. Sata run on their own little cables... they dont need jumpers.. as far as I know. I havnt had any problems. My ide harddrive is on its own cable and it registers just fine. I dont understand why you are labeling a sata as a slave/master. That is sort of the point... as far as I know... that sata just are.. they are not slave or master on a cable. anyways.. not that that helps any..

Oh, just as a tip, i dont thin you have to touch the jumpers on the satas. Just put your ide as master. and you are good to go!

No, you are right. Sata's don't need jumpers in order to work right. Also they don't have a label as far as master/slave. The reason my HD was not functioning right when I plugged in my new ide drive was because it was trying to pull my boot information off the newly installed drive which had nothing on it. So after reading around, I realized that I had to setup my BIOS to run the boot off my original drive first in order for the OS to boot up. I guess when I installed the new drive, it had defaulted to loading off the new (blank) hard drive. That is where I was getting the error and it was fixed by having it changed to SCSI devices to be booted first before anything else. Hopefully I explained that right. Anyway, maybe this will help somebody else out who doesn't know what they are doing like I didn't.

can i follow on from this post?

i have a new PC Advent (PC world) that has a 250GB WD Caviar Serial Ata drive.

i am trying to install the 2nd drive (also WD Caviar) 120gb IDE.

The serial Ata has no jumpers, if i set the IDE to master then the PC wont boot.

if i check the BIOS as recommended on this post, i cant select SCSI as a higher priority than the HDD, there isnt a choice?

any ideas?

jb

I too am having the same problem. My OS is on my SATA hard drive and when I plug in my EIDE maxtor 160 GB HD the system trys to boot from it. I do not have the option in the BIOS to boot from SCSI device, as mentioned.
The EIDE maxtor I have has been set to slave (jumperless in this case).
Also the SATA HD doesn't even show up in the BIOS! (But I have had 0 problems, until trying to add my EIDE HD)
Oh, and ASUS forums are down indefinitely. (lovely) Any help would be great!

Ok,i have purchased a 80gb seagate ide hard drive,I am useing my main
hard drive,its a serial ata wd 120,on my open primary ide i want to use my ide
seagate 80gb hard drive,i went into bios to enable my primary secondary
and its bascily coming up as an error like its not even hooked in,i
wanted to know how can i install it if i can,cuzz nuthing is happening,some one told me i can use my primary ide hard drive port puttin my seagate ata hd as a slave,erros come up that the drive is not found,plzz help me

ok some mother boards, wont allow you to boot from pci/sata IF you have a hard drive on an onboard controller, i had this problem with a MSI k7n2 board, and contacted an MSI engineer who said i couldn't do it, and they wernt intending to fix the bios to allow it ':'( but anyway, you do not need to have jumpers for SATA but the ide cables need to be set to cable select to make it fool proof oh an dont install an os on the ide

I too am having the same problem. My OS is on my SATA hard drive and when I plug in my EIDE maxtor 160 GB HD the system trys to boot from it. I do not have the option in the BIOS to boot from SCSI device, as mentioned.
The EIDE maxtor I have has been set to slave (jumperless in this case).

Oh, and ASUS forums are down indefinitely. (lovely) Any help would be great!

Well I figured out my own problem!
I had to go into the BIOS and set the boot order causee when I put the EIDE HD in, it automatically changed the boot order. Their was also a section under the boot config in the BIOS where I could place the HD's in some proirity, like 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I also had to change this. The OS now loads from the SATA HD and the EIDE HD was assigned a new drive letter on it's own and everything is functional.
However, and this is a big however...... The PC takes about 5 times longer to reboot and stays at the ASUS splash screen about a minute longer than when it did before when I just had the SATA HD plugged in.
This is really disturbing, if anyone can help that would be great.

I had to go into the BIOS and set the boot order causee when I put the EIDE HD in, it automatically changed the boot order. Their was also a section under the boot config in the BIOS where I could place the HD's in some proirity, like 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I also had to change this. The OS now loads from the SATA HD and the EIDE HD was assigned a new drive letter on it's own and everything is functional.
However, and this is a big however...... The PC takes about 5 times longer to reboot and stays at the ASUS splash screen about a minute longer than when it did before when I just had the SATA HD plugged in.

Hi, I was wondering...did you ever fix the problem that was causing your system to slow down? I just recently setup my hd the same as yours so I would like to have as much information from this as possible :cheesy: ;)

Hi, I was wondering...did you ever fix the problem that was causing your system to slow down? I just recently setup my hd the same as yours so I would like to have as much information from this as possible :cheesy: ;)

Sorry, I have not fixed my problem with the slow boot speed. It really doesn't bother me that much it just sits at the mobo splash screen a little longer then I think it should. Other then that minor problem everything else works fine. Of course I haven't really looked into it. But since you mentioned it I just might.

Sorry, I have not fixed my problem with the slow boot speed. It really doesn't bother me that much it just sits at the mobo splash screen a little longer then I think it should. Other then that minor problem everything else works fine. Of course I haven't really looked into it. But since you mentioned it I just might.

I am certain I have your answer, remove the pins on your ide drive, this should work, it did for me. No pins required for stand alone ide drives for most manufacterers. The master pin setting slowed my boot time down to a halt on my Asus a8n-sli board. I have a sata also attached. Make sure you have an 80 pin ribbon on the drive also. Hope this helps.

Hey ppl,
Ive got a problem with sata and ide: I've got a soyo dragon plus 2 mobo, which supports both sata and ide. I've just installed a seagate barracuda 250gb (partitioned) HD as the primary master, and i've managed to get xp on it no problem. However, now my system doesn't detect my old IDE drives at all, not in the bios or windows. I've selected the setting in bios (AWARD) that sets "Pri SATA+Sec IDE" - which I'm assuming will allow both drives to be seen. But no luck! I've discovered that if i set it to "IDE Only" - I can get it to detect the IDE, but thenno SATA! So in general, I can get either drive to work, but not both at the same time!
please help!
thanx in advance...

Hi, I too have an Asus A8N SLI Premium, and have been fighting this machine the past couple of days trying to figure out how to get this to work. I tried exactly what you did all to no avail. The only difference is even though it is a standalone PATA IDE I have to set the jumpers to master otherwise I will lose my DVD drive if I go jumperless. I tried setting the boot settings, tried to get it so my SATA drive with windows on it will work, all to no avail. In fact, if I go jumperless on the IDE I get a message telling me the drive is failing and then if I hit F1 to advance I get a DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER message.

I have tried everything and am out of ideas and patience. So, if anyone has any ideas I would be more than happy to hear them.

Thanks

Brian

I was having the same problem so I finally broke down and spent $15 on a IDE to SATA converter (my new slave drive was IDE, and master drive was SATA) once you hook up the converter, set the jumper on the IDE drive to master and connect it to your next available SATA port on the motherboard. You shouldn't have any problems using the converted drive as a slave. By the way SATA drives dont have any jumpers and are all considered "master" drives. Which is why I said to set the jumper on the converted drive to master. You can use your BIOS to adjust the boot device priority in order to select which drive you want to run your OS from.

As I have read from previous posts, the sata hard drive has no jumpers and so, the sata hard drive is considered as the master....is there no way to change the sata hard drive to be the slave?

My current ide master drive is getting full plus the os on it is a little screwy, so i need to reformat it and might as well get a new drive for more space along the way...but everyone here seems to want to set their sata hard drive to be the master and ide to be the slave...i'm trying to do the opposite...is that possible?

Just plug in the new sata drive, and double check the bios settings to make sure that the boot order checks your old hard drive for the master boot record and that it is not checking the new sata drive. It sould work like a charm :)

And yes, there is no way to change a sata drive master/slave.

This post helped me greatly. I read about the problems with MSI boards, drivers, jumpers, BIOS, etc. Well I have a MSI board and I could not get my new SATA drive set to C: and my old IDE to D: and all the things folks have posted were happening to me. One reply stated do not set IDE to master or slave just remove the jumpers. Well that didn't sound right to me but thought I'd give it a try. Fired up the computer and it asked me which of 3 copies of xp do I want to boot from???? I did nothing and it booted. SATA is C: CD is D: and the old IDE is E: and everything works. No issues in device manager. As I only have one copy of XP installed I assume there is a left over file on D that upon boot makes the computer think there is more than one copy installed. Nothing I can't live with now that I finally got both HD's working. But if anyone knows a simple fix please let me know. Anyway thanks evryone for posting on this issue.

I've just install a SATA drive & transferred XP etc across from my old drive, which is set to master on the IDE connector.

When I boot the PC all is recognised & the PC boots & operates correctly.

However it does seem to take longer to boot, but the main problem is when I select the IDE Drive (D) in Explorer or whatever, it takes a full minute or two to read its contents before operating correctly.

Hardly life threatening, but bloody annoying.

Just by reading all posts here I came to one conclusion by logic.

IF you want your SATA drive to boot correctly with an IDE drive, the IDE drive needs to have the OS as it is labeled master or slave as opposed to SATA.

SO just remove your SATA Drive... Install your OS on your IDE drive, go in the BIOS and make it so it boots off this HD (Make sure it's on Primary Master with the jumpers). Once that is done, plug in your SATA drive (When the IDE is on master, has on OS and is set to boot from it) Then you should have all your stuff on your SATA drive still and it should boot from the IDE drive.

IF you're having problems with a conflict of the two OS's you'll need to clear the MBR of the SATA drive (if possible).

Anyway. It's something to try. Thanks for reading.

Hey there. I just had the same problem. I bought a SATA card for my system because it didn't have a port on the MB. After playing with it awhile, I found that if I pulled my EIDE Promise Card out and connected the EIDE drives back into the MB that everything detected and my system could see all the drives. Perhaps a bios conflict between the two add-in cards? Hope this helps someone!

Hi all. Basically, this forum solved my problem, so I thought I'd give my write up to help someone else.

Ok. Know not much about pcs-have an old hard drive with a SATA connection, wanted to a add a new, empty harddrive with IDE connection to an Asus p4p800 motherboard. On boot-up, it kept saying 'Install correct boot source' or something like that-so I realised it must be making the IDE drive the first port of call on boot up.

Accessed the BIOS, and from reading around the place, learned that I had to go to the IDE drive's product name, select it, then DISABLE it. Don't have to unplug it, nothing like that.

On start-up, the bios now ignored the IDE drive totally-but the best bit was that, although it wasn't showing up in 'My Computer', in Computer Management it was (control panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management-Device Manager-Disc Drives) so it meant that windows could now 'see' the drive, regeardless of the fact I'd disabled it in the BIOS.

Couldn't work out how to be able to use it though-read some more, discovered I needed to go to Computer Management-Disc Management. Right click on the new drive, and 'add partition', basically. Just add one. Your PC will then FORMAT the hard drive-and you'll be able to use it. Unless you're lucky and it's pre-formatted, in which case you'll be sorted form the moment you disable the IDE drive and start up.

Sorry to insult the intelligence of the guys that use this, but I thought I'd make it as simple as I would have wanted to read it in this situation-written for someone like me who knows a tiny bit, but not enough!

Let me know if this helps anyone.

Thanks!

i read all the posts re sata - ide combos & found it all useful. one question for anybody. which is the better setup.....sata as master with os or ide with os? i'm building a new machine.have an old wd 16 gig ide & new wd 160 gig sata.

Hi guys,

A thousand thanks from the elderly and infirm.

Try this:

Step 1 - BIOS setup
Step 2 - Select Boot
Step 3 - Select "Hard Drives"
Step 4 - Change the SATA to be the "first drive"
Step 5 - Save & exit

Hope it helps

Foot Print

i am having a problem with my SATA drive...i think. i installed a new seagate sata drive and was able to figure out how to make it boot instead of my 2 WD IDE's but now i am having a problem with my pioneer DVD/CD burner, the other one is just a cd burner/dvd reader and it reads fine but i can't get my dvd burner to be reginized as such in any of my apps for burning and i have even tried to reinstall the programs, i have an MSI PM4800 pro board with 2 sata ports and ide controllers. any help would be great,and no the drive is fine, nero will burn DVDS to the drive but thats it
thanks in advance
Azazel
N.Y.D.M.
Captain

i am having a problem with my SATA drive...i think. i installed a new seagate sata drive and was able to figure out how to make it boot instead of my 2 WD IDE's but now i am having a problem with my pioneer DVD/CD burner, the other one is just a cd burner/dvd reader and it reads fine but i can't get my dvd burner to be reginized as such in any of my apps for burning and i have even tried to reinstall the programs, i have an MSI PM4800 pro board with 2 sata ports and ide controllers. any help would be great,and no the drive is fine, nero will burn DVDS to the drive but thats it
thanks in advance
Azazel
N.Y.D.M.
Captain

:icon_idea: Hi, so I think I know what you're going through...you installed a new sata drive and disconnected the old ones after making the new one the boot, correct? And now the new sata drive does not know you have a burner? Look in the folder "my computer" Do you see it there? If not, or even if you do, go to your Device Manager.

#1 Is it on the list in Device Manager? If not, then somehow it became unplugged and you need to check all your connections. Open 'er up and check out all your connections. Even the ones you don't think you touched.
#2 If it is on the list, uninstall it from the Device Manager and then restart your computer to find out if the computer "sees" it and wants to install it.? Make sure you have the driver for it before removing it from Device Manager. After removing it from the list, restart your computer. It should promt you to add new hardware. Have your driver ready and follow instructions. Good Fortune!
#3 I don't know enough about bundled software in a computer as I am having trouble with my Sonic program lately....any ideas? I don't have the cd.:-( Software won't see anything that the computer does not see.

Hope this helps. Only thing I can think of without seeing it in person.
Ps. I did finally sove my original drive problem. Hope I could help you.

i read all the posts re sata - ide combos & found it all useful. one question for anybody. which is the better setup.....sata as master with os or ide with os? i'm building a new machine.have an old wd 16 gig ide & new wd 160 gig sata.

Hi, Your new drive would be the faster drive. You could transfer the data from the old one. And then keep it as a backup of your old files.

I had a very full 40gig drive. I did not want to take anything off it, so I got a 250 gig drive. I transferred the data, keeping the old drive intact. And then just disconnected the old drive, keeping it inside for the day that comes when the new drive (heaven forbid) dies. Worked out very well!. Good Fortune!

Thanks for the replies, but i figured it out it was the Pcuffon file for the programs had become currupted and needed to be removed from the reg. to get the fresh copy to install and be regconized.

I had to register just to come on here and say thanks for this thread. It was definitely the most informative out of all the googling I did to help me do this. I'm ok with computers, but have never done any hardware before...

I just got a new computer rig with an Asus P5K SE mainboard and 320 Gig SATA Seagate HDD, that has the OS. I wanted to put my fairly new 250 Gig IDE hard drive into the same machine as secondary (it has no OS) and had no idea how to go about it. I wasn't sure when I got the computer if it would be difficult or not and the guy said if it's SATA too, no problem, but IDE can be difficult to install together with SATA. It wasn't after checking this thread!

They're both hooked up and run beautifully now. Extra big thanks to suRoot for saying to set the jumpers on the IDE (secondary) drive on the computer to cable-select before plugging it in! That's what made it a snap (the way to set the jumpers was right on the side of the hard drive). After plugging it in, I went into BIOS to make sure it was there, set the boot order to first for the SATA drive, second for the IDE drive, and then started windows. I used the disk management console in windows XP: 'start' 'run' 'type: diskmgmt.msc', when it came up, I right clicked on the new drive and clicked 'import foreign disks' and now it's up and running perfectly!

Thanks again for all the help!

OK I have a slightly different problem, I currently have 2 IDE hard drives running and I have also just bought a seagate sata drive. I want to set up the sata so I can copy the files off the other two hard drives because I don't want to use them anymore. It's only files I will be transfering not programs so you dont have to worry about telling me that I will have to redo all the shortcuts and stuff. I just want to run the sata alongside the IDE drives temporarily. Can you help?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.