For some reason my computer refuses to burn DVD's using Nero Express 6, or by simply copy and pasting the file i want to into the DVD drive icon in 'My Computer'

My CD/DVD drive is a "_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG"

I am trying to Burn with DVD-R's

Any Ideas?

Serunson.

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Any Ideas?

the dvd burner doesn't work anymore !!!!
what type of file are you trying to burn .

A RAR archive. Its got the parts of a programme on it which i want to keep, in case i get a new comp.

A RAR archive. Its got the parts of a programme on it which i want to keep, in case i get a new comp.

ok,so are you just using nero to burn it as a data disk .

Yep just a plain old data disc
Looking in the small box where the burning takes place, it says illegal disc or words to that effect. It also says in an error box "Failure to burn at 2.4X" or words to that effect. I've changed the speeds around and still nothing.

Yep just a plain old data disc
Looking in the small box where the burning takes place, it says illegal disc or words to that effect. It also says in an error box "Failure to burn at 2.4X" or words to that effect. I've changed the speeds around and still nothing.

the blank disk you are using ,have you tried a different brand ,some burners are fussier than others ..,what windows are u usinf and have you lots of free disk space and ram
you might wanna read a little here .
http://www.google.ca/search?q=NEC+DVD_RW+ND-3500AG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I only have 1 set of 50 (lol) Sony ones.
I use XP Home SP2, with 2Gb of RAM and at least half my HDD empty (around 90Gb's free).

i think you will at least have to try another brand ,borrow one from a friend or just buy a small pack to try

Could it be perhaps an issue with the burner only being able to burn on the other type of DVD (DVD+R's)? Would that cause this sort of issue?

Could it be perhaps an issue with the burner only being able to burn on the other type of DVD (DVD+R's)? Would that cause this sort of issue?

yeah if the burner is a +r only dvd burner ,its not gonna burn -r's ,the links i posted they seem to be having a lot of problems burning ,and all seem to lead to a firmware update,that can be trick as it can destroy the burner if it goes wrong ,its a similar process as doing a bios flash in a computer

It seems that my DVD burner is only compatible with +R type DVD's. I swapped with a mate and got a +R one, and it worked fine so it must mean my burner can only handle +R's.
Anyone want 49 DVD - R's :D

the links i post to forums about the burner did you go there and ask if the firmware update will make it read both types ,no sure if that is possible but worth the question I'm sure .
i'll take em ,send to me lol

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1904
That's the site that the top link from google got me too
But it didn't make any sense to me :P
My knowledge is very low on flashing firmware, and i don't like the "Bad flashing could destroy your drive definitively" quote.

yeah ,me to ,I don't mean for you to do a flash ,just go and ask it there, if a flash to make it burn -r's.

i registered to that site and posted the ? will post back here and let you know if anyone has an answer.

I ran the 'Discinfo' tool that was asked for from the forum link here:
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=211211#211211
The Disc Info says:
Firmware Version : 2.98
Vendor Specific : 04082500
Extra info : None
Drive region status : Lock Detected
Region Setting Status : Set
User Changes Left : 3
manufactor resets left : 4
Current Region Set : 2
Read Speed : 48x
Write Speed : 48x
Hope this is what u are looking for Caperjack

ok,we will see what else they say, i will post the info,get back to morrow evening ,im working 12 hr shifts all weekend

Thanks Caperjack, you are the man! :)

Well i ran this binflash program, used Dump and got this (see attachment)
I'll post it on the forum as well.

EDIT: would not let me on the forum with my e-mail addresses, they are all banned for some reason!

Well i ran this binflash program, used Dump and got this (see attachment)
I'll post it on the forum as well.

EDIT: would not let me on the forum with my e-mail addresses, they are all banned for some reason!

ok,i sent it off wait and see response from them,

That drive (NEC 3500) should burn anything you throw at it and it's not picky about brands (I have 2 of them). Still could be a bad batch of DVDs.

That drive (NEC 3500) should burn anything you throw at it and it's not picky about brands (I have 2 of them). Still could be a bad batch of DVDs.

? is it a +r only or does it burn both +r's and -r's

Well, I erred -- first time in years :)

I have 2 ND3550 drives rather than ND3500 drives. However, I used and installed NEC DVD burners beginning with the ND2200 series (8X). Have never had any problems with burning any type of media (including +R and -R). I'm still using an ND2500 drive and have had no issues with it either.

Was firmware version or update ever mentioned?

Side comment: The NEC/Sony Optiarc burners now available are OK but are not as quiet and reliable as the NEC drives were.

Well, I erred -- first time in years :)

I have 2 ND3550 drives rather than ND3500 drives. However, I used and installed NEC DVD burners beginning with the ND2200 series (8X). Have never had any problems with burning any type of media (including +R and -R). I'm still using an ND2500 drive and have had no issues with it either.

Was firmware version or update ever mentioned?

Side comment: The NEC/Sony Optiarc burners now available are OK but are not as quiet and reliable as the NEC drives were.

ok,so i guess it goes back to a bad batch of -r dvd's or maybe try different brand of -r's .

They are Sony one's so i thought that they would be half-decent.
Also checking the front of my DVD-drive, under the "RW" logo, it shows "DVD+R DL". Does this mean anything in particular?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.