If i upgraded my laptop from 512mb of RAM to 2GB of RAM would i notice much difference in speed? I expect it would but i was told it would not affect it that much.
Please help Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

If you play games, you will feel the difference, if you're using some simple programs then you will not (MS Office etc.).
Study what is RAM for, and you will have no more questions about it, thrust me!
Simple as that!!!

System speed relies on three parts, the processor, the hard drive, and the ram. If your processor and hard drive and on par with a 512 system then upgrading the RAM wont do much good, though a jump from 512 to 2gigs is of course still going to be noticeable.

What we need to know first off is whether you laptop can handle more than 512, some systems depending on age max out at 512 or 1gig
Also we need to know what kind of processor you have, if its a low end celeron or the like, upgrading ram isnt your primary concern.
Finally it would be good to know more info about your HDD though that will be harder to find, for starters, what size is it?

If you can get us this info, as well as the specs of your graphics card (if you're using this for gaming) we can give you a better idea of what you need.

depends if it runs vista or xp too

sometimes!!!! ram can add more of a boost than a cpu upgrade ,sometimes!!!

the specs of my laptop are:
-windows vista home basic.
-dell inspiron 1501
-mobile AMD sempron processor 3500+ 1.80 Ghz
-894 megabytes of RAM
cant find any info on graphics card and i do not use it for games.
But my Ram upgrade will generally be for faster loading time and faster and (not crashing) documents exploring, coursework, etc.

if its vista then yes, RAM will make a huge difference. get 2gb if possible.

thanks for the help ill try get hold of 2GB

thanks for the help ill try get hold of 2GB

you have 1 gig now [shared with video hence the 894],so unless it has more that 2 ram slots you only need to get 1 gig .

if it has 2x 512mb sticks then you will need to throw both of them away and get 2x 1gb sticks

must be in equal pairs

if it has 2x 512mb sticks then you will need to throw both of them away and get 2x 1gb sticks

must be in equal pairs

you know i thought i would come back here to see someone tell me that you can get 2gig sticks of ram ,because i didn't think you could but just did a search and found this .
http://laptopcentre.ca/kingston-value-ddr2-667mhz-5300-200pin-sodimm-p-636.html

or this .really i didn't know it came in 2 gig sticks .
http://stores.ebay.ca/sellbuz_Laptop-Memory_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ18129324QQftidZ2QQtZkm

yeah my server has 4x2gb sticks

yeah but mine has a max of 8gb and 4 slots

If i upgraded my laptop from 512mb of RAM to 2GB of RAM would i notice much difference in speed? I expect it would but i was told it would not affect it that much.
Please help Thanks

Yes, you will notice a major bump in speed. Boot up times will be faster, games will be more responsive, you will notice less crashes, and you will be able to multitask with ease!! Just make sure the new RAM is supported by your pc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.