hi im building my first computer and im worried about damaging expensive parts. as long as i am sure there is no static, the motherboard spacers are in right, and that all of the fans are in proper posision and spinning i cant hurt anything right? no other concerns except spacers, cooling, static, and rough handling?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

when I built my first computer I was concerned about the same thing just make sure the stand outs (motherboard spacers) are in the right place, make sure nothing touches the underside of the motherboard, use the paper washers that came with the screws if you have them, keep everything in their anti-static bags until you are ready to install them, and use an ESD strap or keep in constant contact with the metal frame of the case. If you do that you should be ok.

1) NEVER EVER EVER turn on a power supply if it is not connected to anything. It will explode

2) Some SATA drivers support either the newer or older power conenctors.NEVER use BOTH the IDE and SATA type power connectors on a drive at once.

3) NEVER open a power supply. It will kill you.

4)Ensure that you dont bend the CPU pins. Line up pin zero, and dont remove the slot cover until the cpu is going in.

5)Ensure you use the thermal paste appropriately. DONT use too much. Watch those temps too

6) BREAK IT IN (IMPORTANT)

Run it for a few hours at a time, doing general officey tasks for the first week or so. DONT start playing intensive games etc... straight away.

other than that its mainly spacers, cooling, static, and rough handling

1) NEVER EVER EVER turn on a power supply if it is not connected to anything. It will explode

thanx lol, i probably would have done this

yeah. Modern ones dont tend to explode anymore, but it can still; potentially break them.

dont plug it into the wall until the big power connector is attatched to the motherboard

old or new I've never had one blow up when turning them on not plugged into anything ,lucky i guess.just finishing checking about 5 of them with a psc tester , in my barn ,and if they didn't work i took them apart and removed the fans for future use.carefully of course.

I took my first computer apart 10 years ago and I build and fix computer all the time ,and i have never use a anti static strap, I have ram sticks /video cards ,nic csrds and modems in a box no static bags ,just pull them out and use them,just lucky I guess
I guess the work should be COULD and not WILL .

and i have never use a anti static strap

neither do i, but i touch a grounded object e.g radiator pipe.

neither do i, but i touch a grounded object e.g radiator pipe.

sometimes i remember to touch something solid ,usually my head .lol

Dont think that'll get rid of the static though...or does it????

everytime,makes my hair stand on end

I would have imagined that would transfer more charge onto the hand again, thats comin from the science lessons w had in junior high. On second note i might be wronf the teacher was a bit of a pothead as well...lol

Raj

Depends on the head...knew that metal plate would come in handy eventually.

its not about getting rid of static, its about ESD(electrostatic discharge) the electrical difference between you and the computer could cause a static electrical discharge and potentially damage the computer. touching it or using a strap makes you and the computer the same charge (no potential difference = no ESD = no damaged computer)

lol

i'm not lucky, so i have an army of anti-static bags and an anti-static wrist band. but then i do build wearing socks and walking on carpet....

lol

but then i do build wearing socks and walking on carpet....

now there's the challenge

o dear! never thought of that one. I have opened up my pc almost everytime on the carpet and i'd say that i am wearing socks 95% of the time as well ;-P...guess i just been lucky so far. but then again i do tend to touch the metal case before i proceed to touch the components so may be thats my saving grace right there....

be thats my saving grace right there....

It sure is .,,,,zap zap !

dude "zap zap" is exactly what i m trying to avoid...haha

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.