Okay, my problem is extremely frustrating because to me (100% Noob) is doesn't make sense.

I bought a cheap computer for $50. You know, just the basics coz I didn't need it for anything extreme.
It had 2 x 64mb SD RAM in it.
Which means my comp was really only JUST coping with XP ontop of everything else.
The technical guy took my computer back to put MORE RAM in because he said he should've put more in there to start with.

Months passed, still didn't get my computer back.

Until I finally get my computer back with absoloutely NO ram in it. At all.
So I borrowed my step-dads 64mb SD RAM to check to see if it was working.. because when we tried his 128MB SD RAM (i think it was that) it just kept making a siren noise.

But as you probably already know, 64mb RAM wasnt enough to cope. It'd boot up, shut down and re-boot because thats all it could manage.

SO! I bought RAM again, my mother suggested 512MB. I did some ringing around, bought it home, put it in and......... NOTHING!
Siren noises and a No signal message.
Took it back, they checked the ram again in their computer and it worked perfectly fine.
So they gave me a 256 SD RAM x 2 to try. It was guarenteed to work.

To my releif, no siren noise.

HOWEVER, now I have "No Signal" on my monitor and can't work out how to bloody fix it.

The strange part is, I don't get "No signal" when the 64MB ram is in there and I can run it in Safe Mode. (Thats what I'm in now).
But if I put 1 or even both of the 258 ram in there the message comes up.

Any ideas?! DESPERATE!

:sad: I've tried:

*Re-starting.
*Putting RAM in different slots (I have 2)
*Matching a 258mb ram with the 64 .. gets a siren noise.
*Unplugging and re-plugging everything in.
*Made sure all plugs are in properly.

But thats about as far asI can get because I have no idea what im doing.
I figured if someone can help me here, rather then me pay $88 / hour just for a professional to only LOOK at it it'd be a bonus =D ..Because I'm cheap =]

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi

Not too clued upon this but i had same sort of problem when i bought sd ram for my updated (few years ago)PC.I had also just upgraded my graphics card from riva tnt2 to gforce 5200 fx.thought the ram was faulty but i updated my bios and all was ok.Must of been graphics card though as old one would work but new one was completely blank screen.As far as i know the noises are from hardware conflicts or errors.I had an abit K8 mother board but you dont say how old your motherboard is.Maybe it needs updated chipset drivers or graphics or bios.

Riggs

Hi

I had an abit K8 mother board but you dont say how old your motherboard is.Maybe it needs updated chipset drivers or graphics or bios.

Riggs

Hey thanks for your reply, its really appreciated =]
I could tell you how old my motherboard is if I knew where to look =S
And whats a chipset driver and Bios?
By updating you mean buy new ones?

I'm sorry I completely have no idea about computers.
My mums the computer expert and so's her husband but she can't work out what the problem is.

You needtofind out what make your motherboard is then go on their website and look if there are any latest drivers for your motherboard.Another good site is driverguide.com.

You needtofind out what make your motherboard is then go on their website and look if there are any latest drivers for your motherboard.Another good site is driverguide.com.

Any ideas how I can find out what make my motherboard is?

Thankyou so much for your help by the way.

your motherboard is the big pcb that everything is attached too (you were just putting ram in it). there should be a sticker on it with the make and a part number. you can google that to find more info.

Thankyou so much for your help.
We took it to a computer shop and they fixed it, my boyfriend got sick and tired of waiting.
Don't know exactly what was wrong with it but it was worth the money =]

Thankyou!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.