jenny_ 0 Newbie Poster

Hello!

Two weeks ago my mum got my old laptop. It is a two year old computer that has worked perfectly, and it still worked perfectly when I gave it to her.

Suddenly, yesterday, when she turned the computer on, the screen was pitch black. She called me for advice, but since it was 8 o'clock in the morning, I wasn't so eager to help. However, she then decided to give the computer to a friend that, according to her, is good at fixing computers (I'd rather say that he's only good at replacing all your computer parts with some old ones... and his real occupation is producing cellphones). Well, he seemed to have fixed the problem, until this morning, when mum once again woke me up and told me that the screen is black.

I don't know what that guy has done to the computer, but during those couple of hours that the screen was working, mum couldn't even go into the screen settings (when clicked on Graphic Properties, nothing happens). Unfortunately, the laptop is in another town, so I can't really fix it from here. I have asked mum to reboot, check if the computer is on low energy consumption mode, everything.

So, to sum it up, the problems are:
1) While the screen was working, after it has been "fixed" by that guy, I can't change any screen settings at all. I can't even reach the screen properties.
2) The screen suddenly turned black when turned on.

What do I do?