I've been having some computer problems. It started a few weeks ago when my monitor would go all crazy and I'd have to manually turn the computer off. It would do that occasionally, and then Monday it wouldn't do anything. When I turn the computer on, it either gives me a screen that is all crazy with letters and stuff, or nothing but a blue screen. Someone suggested that they are pretty sure from what I described to them that it's the graphics/video card. I have an HP Pavilion a1600n, running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-core processor, 1024 MB memory, 200 GB hard drive, and with NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics. I contacted HP to try to find out what kind of card I need, and they told me I need a PCI Express x16 graphics card. They also said something about needing to upgrade or replace my power source or supply unit. Is this absolutely necessary? I feel like sometimes places like that take advantage of the fact that you don't know exactly what they are talking about, and I've always gotten great advice here. What kind of graphics card would you suggest that is compatible with my computer? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

people here would need to know what you have for a power supply now to be able to say if you need upgrade or not .

Thanks, but I was able to get up with a computer tech guy who got me on the right path. Thanks anyway.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.