Hello all I am newbe here so I hope that some one can help me out a bite.
But first a little bit about my self
I have been custom building and repairing computers since the vic20 days.
I look after and service a few private computers, If I can be of any help I would be please to but my 2cents forward.
I am findly stuck thou I have tried with no results to get this darn computer to run at 1066MHz I have run in default mode with no results, I have tried increaseing the ram voltage a bit but still no go I only managed to lock computer up would not boot and ha to clear bios and reset it.
My computer consists of the follow items

Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 Mother Board will run at 1066MHZ
4Gigs of Patriot Extreme Viper PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 cl5.5.5.15
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core Processor 2.3GHz 4MB Ram AM2+ Socket
750 Watt Artic Cooler Power Supply
2 ATI 2600xl 512 Meg o ram In Crossfire Mode
X_FI HD sound card
Plenty of cooling processor chip doe not run hot 32-35c
Vista 64Bit and all updates I even tried XP 64Bit
All lastest updates and processor flashed to F5 which is the lastest.
So does anyone here have any ideas on waht I could try? I do'nt as a rule like to ocer clock I perfur to run at default mode.
But clearly this has to be done. I just don't know were to start.
thanks
fred

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello all I am newbe here so I hope that some one can help me out a bite.
But first a little bit about my self
I have been custom building and repairing computers since the vic20 days.
I look after and service a few private computers, If I can be of any help I would be please to but my 2cents forward.
I am findly stuck thou I have tried with no results to get this darn computer to run at 1066MHz I have run in default mode with no results, I have tried increaseing the ram voltage a bit but still no go I only managed to lock computer up would not boot and ha to clear bios and reset it.
My computer consists of the follow items

Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 Mother Board will run at 1066MHZ
4Gigs of Patriot Extreme Viper PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 cl5.5.5.15
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core Processor 2.3GHz 4MB Ram AM2+ Socket
750 Watt Artic Cooler Power Supply
2 ATI 2600xl 512 Meg o ram In Crossfire Mode
X_FI HD sound card
Plenty of cooling processor chip doe not run hot 32-35c
Vista 64Bit and all updates I even tried XP 64Bit
All lastest updates and processor flashed to F5 which is the lastest.
So does anyone here have any ideas on waht I could try? I do'nt as a rule like to ocer clock I perfur to run at default mode.
But clearly this has to be done. I just don't know were to start.
thanks
fred

Hello fred, may I ask what program you are using to monitor the frequency? Try several others to be able to ascertain the problem being a low frequency. The next thing I would look for are power saving mechanisms built into in either the bios or operating system to cause the frequency to drop. For example, my intel quad core will step down the multiplier and voltage levels when not required due to a bios setting. I doubt it being a product deficiency as Patriot is known to make quality ram. Next check the Front Side Bus, as this can alter the frequency of the ram as well, checking the CPU : DRAM ratio while your there. For example, my processor is at stock 270mhz at a multiplier of 9x, but for some reason the bios set it to 266, making the ram rated at 790mhz i believe, but repositioning it to 270mhz raised both the DRAM speed as well as the CPU clock to normal factory proposed settings.

with luck,

~fain

Hello fred, may I ask what program you are using to monitor the frequency? Try several others to be able to ascertain the problem being a low frequency. The next thing I would look for are power saving mechanisms built into in either the bios or operating system to cause the frequency to drop. For example, my intel quad core will step down the multiplier and voltage levels when not required due to a bios setting. I doubt it being a product deficiency as Patriot is known to make quality ram. Next check the Front Side Bus, as this can alter the frequency of the ram as well, checking the CPU : DRAM ratio while your there. For example, my processor is at stock 270mhz at a multiplier of 9x, but for some reason the bios set it to 266, making the ram rated at 790mhz i believe, but repositioning it to 270mhz raised both the DRAM speed as well as the CPU clock to normal factory proposed settings.

with luck,

~fain

Hi Thanks for the response.
I really have not used any program to monitor my frequency. What would you recommened?
My multiplier is 11 and I have set it manualy in the bios to that setting but it made no differance.
The front side bus that you mentionis is that the DDR Valve rating? If it is I have increased it to the recommended setting and no diffreance still drop to 800 MHz.
I know that the ram is not mention in gigabytes recommened ram chart. The ram that I have is DD ram and that number is PVS24G8500ELK.
Do you think that maybe that it my problem?
And if it is I could buy the recommened one. At least if I do that I can get DS ram instead of SS (single sided).
I will try your suggestions that you mentioned to me.
thanks
PS What program would you say I need to track the frequency?
fred

Hi Thanks for the response.
I really have not used any program to monitor my frequency. What would you recommened?
My multiplier is 11 and I have set it manualy in the bios to that setting but it made no differance.
The front side bus that you mentionis is that the DDR Valve rating? If it is I have increased it to the recommended setting and no diffreance still drop to 800 MHz.
I know that the ram is not mention in gigabytes recommened ram chart. The ram that I have is DD ram and that number is PVS24G8500ELK.
Do you think that maybe that it my problem?
And if it is I could buy the recommened one. At least if I do that I can get DS ram instead of SS (single sided).
I will try your suggestions that you mentioned to me.
thanks
PS What program would you say I need to track the frequency?
fred

Hello again. As for a program, cpuz is a light weight and powerful tool that I would recommend, but there are dozens out there that can suit your particular tastes, such as astra32, or everest ultimate edition. What you want to look for in cpuz is under Memory/timings/DRAM frequency and it should show 533mhz,
("PC2-8500 = 1066 MHz data & strobe / 533 MHz clock for address and control").

Also, doing some research, it is listed within the supported memory modules pdf: "Note: Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is only supported by 1 dimm per channel.", and considering your using a phenom with an AM2+ pin set, this probably applies. It is listed a little more than half way down the first page. I suggest trying to switch the ram locations from slots 1 and 2 (the yellow ones) to slots 1 and 3. This will get it in single channel mode, whereby you can recheck the frequency thereof and see if this is the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.