OK my PC started freezing I scanned viruses and spy-ware. I cleaned out all the temp files, Internet files and so on. It still kept freezing so i said f it and i reformatted and reinstalled windows, updated everything to date. And......IT STILL FREEZES. this has never happened to me before and I've been working on PCs for years. the only thing i can think in might be is the hard drive. I have not done a surface scan on it yet but I'm going to. Does anybody have an idea what might be the problem?

Thanks, Goomnaga

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

hey there
so did you farmat your pc but are still receiving the freezes?

Yes that is correct

well I did a surface scan of the HD and it came back ok. So i tried 2 different hard drives, 1 said no operating system (it has one) the other just a blank screen with a flashing cursor. I also tried scanning the HD with SeaTools and it froze during the scan lol. Not sure what else to try.

hey
If you did a Clean install(normal format-delete all partitions created new,etc) and with that said to your previous post than id say youre problem is more technical.how well is your fans behaving(processor fan especially) monitor it to see if its giving enough cooling to your internal parts. monitor the fans with the new OS installed see how it behaves
??

I also hooked up the hard drive to a different PC and scanned it with SeaTools. I ran all 4 tests and all 4 got about 1% to the end and aborted. I will try what you said and Ill repost.
Thank You

ohk so when trying another hard drive in your system what you saying it did detect it but it didnt recognise a OS on the drive...right? heres what you do if my previous post didnt do much help....
with the new(other hard drive)in the system {make sure that the hard drive is a good one} format that hard drive and install a brand new copy of the Operating System.
should work.see how it behaves after that and post me a reply
??

I m thinking its more of a heating issues that is making the system unstable, have u cleaned the fans of any dust deposited on the ends that could be the main cause as even running the test it starts to freeze which means something else triggers it. Also be worthwhile to check for the thermal paste on the CPU as well depending on the age of your system.

Good luck

Raj

i have a desktop which giving blue screen error cominig

OK my PC started freezing I scanned viruses and spy-ware. I cleaned out all the temp files, Internet files and so on. It still kept freezing so i said f it and i reformatted and reinstalled windows, updated everything to date. And......IT STILL FREEZES. this has never happened to me before and I've been working on PCs for years. the only thing i can think in might be is the hard drive. I have not done a surface scan on it yet but I'm going to. Does anybody have an idea what might be the problem?

might wanna give us some details on make and model, os, tech specs etc then tell us what exactly is happening as we cant just find the root of problem with just on estatement mate.

Raj

do you really need help or are you just messing with us here repeating the posts from other poters..

Raj

Thanks, Goomnaga

Hi Goomnaga, well considering the fact that you have been working on computers for years, I am confident that its probably not a dust issue. If you can get the operating system on it again, try checking if the hard drive is set in pio mode. This is a slower but more stable mode that reduces the transfer rates to about 4mb/s in the event of an error. What you want it to be is on dma. You can check in device manager->IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers->Primary/Secondary IDE channel->Advanced/Extended tab. If this is the problem, several solutions are here and here.

did you get anything good out of your machine goomnaga?

I m thinking its more of a heating issues that is making the system unstable, have u cleaned the fans of any dust deposited on the ends that could be the main cause as even running the test it starts to freeze which means something else triggers it. Also be worthwhile to check for the thermal paste on the CPU as well depending on the age of your system.

Good luck

Raj

post nr5 is states the same mr raj...

fully agreed there with ya good sir, just wanted to make sure he did it as he didnt mention anywhere that he looked into checking for overhating issues as that is what seemed to be his problem. So no argument there matey.

Raj

All the fans are clean. I deleted the partition, formated, and re installed windows. To my surprise it froze during the windows installation lol. So.. Its the hard drive right??

By the way the machine is custom. A friend made it. P4 2.8 GHZ, 512MB ram, 128MB Ati Radeon video card, 120GB Maxtor HHD. The mobo is an MSI. It ws built in 2004. If yall need any other specs just post.

youre problem is hardware related for sure. id check my cpu and RAM for testing

Well it turned out to be the mobo. Thanks for all your help guys.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.