I recently upgraded the RAM on my emachines T2984 to 2 - 1GB sticks of G.Skill DDR PC3200 http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/view.php?id=g_ddr&no=34.

I also recently added a 500GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148135

I've noticed a significant decrease in performance even though I doubled the memory I previously had. When I load my BIOS it says "1024MB (non spd)" next to each of the memory slots. The motherboard is supposed to be able to handle 2GB of memory. Do I need a BIOS update?

My BIOS information is:

BIOS Type: AMI
BIOS Date: August 18th 2004
BIOS ID: 63-0100-000001-00101111-081804-iBRKDL_G-SR84510A
BIOS OEM: BIOS Date: 08/18/04 20:53:52 Ver: 08.00.10 - SR84510A.46T.0012.P05.0408182053
Chipset: Intel 2560 rev 3
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Motherboard: D845GVSR

Does anyone know what I should do?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

If there is a BIOS upgrade use it.

The SPD error means that the system can't accurately asses the type of ram in use. Try going into your BIOS and manually adjusting the RAM settings to the specs on the manufacturers product page.

I've tried to find a way to change the RAM settings in my BIOS but I cannot find a way to do so. I also tried to update my BIOS from the Intel website but when I start the express BIOS update it says that the BIOS is not right for my computer even though the website says it is. Is there an easier way for me to access my RAM settings?

PC3200 is slow RAM anyway. What did you have before?

PC-3200 is slow by modern standards, but fast on any platform that runs it. 1,2, or 4 sticks of PC-3200 will match the FSB of CPU that runs on a DDR platform. In this case 2 is just shy of his 533mhz FSB.

It sounds like there's something iffy with your
A. BIOS
B. Motherboard.
Between the two issues of improperly reading your ram and improperly recognizing your Motherboard version for the BIOS update I'd say something with the board is defective. Personally I'd do an online chat with e-machines support (they suck but have access to the best technical documents for their machines) and see what they have to say about the improper BIOS issue.

> BIOS Date: August 18th 2004
Which means the board is probably older still right?

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gvsr/

These products are no longer being manufactured by Intel. Additionally, Intel no longer provides interactive support for these products via telephone or e-mail, nor will Intel provide any future software updates to support new operating systems or improve compatibility with third party devices and software products.

THESE DOCUMENTS ARE PROVIDED FOR HISTORICAL REFERENCE PURPOSES ONLY AND ARE SUBJECT TO THE TERMS SET FORTH IN THE "LEGAL INFORMATION" LINK BELOW.For information on currently available Intel products, please see www.intel.com and/or developer.intel.com

In other words, it's so old that Intel have lost complete interest in it.

You're only going to get so far by putting racing slicks on a model T ford. Looks great, but all it does is really expose how weak the rest of the system is.

By the time you've incrementally (and sub-optimally) replaced several components in your machine, you could have bought a brand new one with all the latest (and matched to each other) components for basically the same money.

Yes your fancy RAM may make it quicker (eventually), but will you ever be able to run the RAM at it's true potential on that old machine?. If the answer is no, then you've paid for performance you're never going to use.

Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll see if emachines can help me out.

Ah, good pickup caperjack. The SPD of the RAM says pc3200 (400MHz) but your motherboard says 2700 only thanks. Hence the error on startup.

Once your BIOS setup opens, pressing Ctrl+F1 can show hidden advanced options, but only on some machines. Give it a go and see if you can then set your RAM to 333MHz (pc2700) speed.

when I stick 1 stick in it still says 1024MB (non spd). I did use the CPU-Z program and this is what it is telling me. I don't know what all of the numbers mean so I'll let someone else interpret it.

Under the "Memory" tab it says:
Type: DDR
Size: 2048MB
DRAM Frequency: 166.7MHz
FSB: DRAM: 4:5
CAS# Latency (CL): 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 3 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 5 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer: 16 clocks

Under the "SPD" tab for each memory slot it says:
Module Size: 1024MB
Max Bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Correction: None
Buffered: no
Timings table
Frequency: 200MHz
CAS# Latency : 2.5
RAS# to CAS#: 3
RAS# Precharge: 3
tRAS: 6
Voltage: 2.5 V

I also tried pressing ctrl+F1 in my BIOS and that didn't work

I think that says your 1 stick is running at 333MHz (166.7 x 2).
It says it's made to run at a maximum speed of 400MHz (200 x 2).

That's all fine, your RAM has been slowed down to what your motherboard wants.

What is a bit weird is that your computer thinks it's got 2GB, while the specs page clearly knows that it's only 1GB.

I'm not an expert at this stuff, but my guess is that your computer's having trouble slowing down the RAM so it's compatible.
It's strange that there's no option to slow it down manually in the BIOS.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Adding 1gb RAM and 500GB HDD genrerally may not speed up the system much.

Hugh RAM only shows the diffrent when you run a huge game application or database software, otherwise, 1 extra GB not making too much differnce is normall.

Also, after add the RAM, make sure updated the correct paging file as well.

If you have total 2gb RAM on the system, the paging file should be 3gb size, 2 x1.5.

To set the page file:
right click My Computer - Properties - Advanced - setting (in Performance section) - advanced - change - C: - custom size (3gb)max - set - ok to exit.
Remember to write down the previous page file size so you can switch back if drive C ran out of space in some cases.

Hope this helps!
Bill

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.