How do i replace a cd/dvd rom from my Toshiba laptop that am suspecting to be faulty.The pc is a Toshiba satellite 1700-200 model no ps170E-00021-EN

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

how old is it
what country are you in
warranty status?

The machine is about five years old and am a resident of Nairobi Kenya and as for the warranty it expired long time ago.

you will have to buy a drive from toshiba probably then, and fit it yourself

for a 5 year old laptop, this will be very expensive. probably cheaoer just buying a new laptop or maybe a USB cd drive.

How do i replace a cd/dvd rom from my Toshiba laptop that am suspecting to be faulty.The pc is a Toshiba satellite 1700-200 model no ps170E-00021-EN

hi ,first thing is to acquire a replacement drive ,then you need to carefully remove the keyboard ,and at the back of the cdrom its screws to the motherboard ,remove the 2 screws and slide out cdrom .I actually have 2 of those laptops with cdrom problems ,i bought replacement drive on E-Bay for $45.00 canadian .
it should loon something like this .
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba1800/satellite1800_1.htm

There is a lot of variation on the process of taking laptops apart and they can be very fragile. If you're comfortable with your skill level then take it apart and put the new one in. If you're not I'd suggest going for a USB. There is actually an advantage to this in some cases as it allows you to upgrade to a DVD burner, where you're probably limited to CD burner or Combo drive on the built-in drive. It would make you less portable, so you need to weigh your priorities, skills, and budget.

Thanks a lot everyone for all your help.I opted for a USB DVD drive and it works just fine.Couldn't take a risk taking it apart.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.