Hi all,
I have some weird problem with my system. It keeps on restarting itself after booting. Sometimes it restarts just when the windows starts loading and sometimes it restarts after sometime. I am unable to get any pattern for this. It restarts anytime at its own will with complete black screen and no error message. Sometimes it even shuts down also and then I have to switch off and on the power supply to again start it. I hv multiboot system with Windows XP Professional and Windows Me installed on different drives and this reboot problem is appearing with both OS.
My system configuration is:
Motherboard: KOB 845 WFSx
RAM: 256 MB
AGP Card: NVIDIA Riva TNT2 64 Pro

Please help me to overcome this problem. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

This could be caused by overheating, have you checked inside for dust lately? And check to see if the fans are operating properly? Be sure to gaurd against damage via static electricity when working inside the case!

Another possibility is bad RAM; have you added any RAM recently? If so, it may be incompatible. If you haven't, there is a possiblity your RAM has gone bad.

dlh6213 :: All fans are working properly and also I left the CPU case open to avoid any overheating. I have installed a new 128MB SDRAM and a Network card recently but the restarting problem was appearing before that also. And I even tried checking by removing them also, but of no use :(

pcschrottie :: I have already tried those options of disabling instant restart. Even disabled "Halt on Error" option in my BIOS also. But it keeps on restarting.

I tried to run Antivirus (I already have Norton 2004) to check for any virus, but it restarts in the middle. I tried installing Service Pack 2 for XP, then again it restarted. I mean whatever I do, it keeps on restarting. Sometimes it even restarts on loading Windows. And gives no error message or log.

Sometimes it even restarts on loading Windows.

Then i'm pretty shure it's a hardware failure. Mainboard, RAM, whatever. You will need to have your PC checked.

Or maybe try another power supply unit first.

Michael

.......Windows ME.............. Microsoft screwed up big time with Windows ME didn't they. I suggest taking Windows ME off. Very very worthless

If we talk in the terms of functionality and robustness then obviously Win Me is bullshit, but there is a positive side also. It is less resource hungry, thats why I use Win Me and Win 98 for gaming (single user, High-end games), and I have Win XP sp2 for all other works.

Anyways the problem is resolved for now :)
It seems that one of my RAM socket gave up, thank god I have 3 RAM sockets on my mobo. Noe system is working fine since last night.
Thanks to all you guys for this much support and help.
I will let u ppl know if any complicacy appears...

Glad you got it figured out, and thanks for letting us know what the problem was, it may help someone else out :)

If we talk in the terms of functionality and robustness then obviously Win Me is bullshit, but there is a positive side also. It is less resource hungry, thats why I use Win Me and Win 98 for gaming (single user, High-end games), and I have Win XP sp2 for all other works.

Anyways the problem is resolved for now :)
It seems that one of my RAM socket gave up, thank god I have 3 RAM sockets on my mobo. Noe system is working fine since last night.
Thanks to all you guys for this much support and help.
I will let u ppl know if any complicacy appears...

Ah, you got me there.

Hi Everybody,
I am here again after two months. Actually my RAM is again giving problems. My initial opinion had been that the RAM itself might have been at fault, or maybe it was a deeper isue with my m/c that I had no knowledge about. So I went back to the vendor and had the RAM changed, but the problem persisted. Now, after having had the RAM changed THRICE, I'm no better off. So I'm more or less sure that it's a compatibility issue between the 2 RAMs, and the RAMs by themselves, or my m/c, are perfectly fine.
Can anyone please help me out??? I don't know if any of you has ever faced a similiar problem, but I sincerely hope someone has a solution that can solve my issue. Thanx a million in advance :-)

Hi Everybody,
I am here again after two months. Actually my RAM is again giving problems. My initial opinion had been that the RAM itself might have been at fault, or maybe it was a deeper isue with my m/c that I had no knowledge about. So I went back to the vendor and had the RAM changed, but the problem persisted. Now, after having had the RAM changed THRICE, I'm no better off. So I'm more or less sure that it's a compatibility issue between the 2 RAMs, and the RAMs by themselves, or my m/c, are perfectly fine.
Can anyone please help me out??? I don't know if any of you has ever faced a similiar problem, but I sincerely hope someone has a solution that can solve my issue. Thanx a million in advance :-)

why dont u check the RAM's in other system, try changing the SMPS, many times such problems occur due to power supply,

Try the RAM sticks one at a time to rule out the possibility of mismatched modules. Also, using a brush, clean the mobo. Remove any dust on it, especially in or around the RAM slots. Also, check the temperatures reported by the mobo's sensor (BIOS Setup>PC Health). Report back with the temperature, as its possible the thermal grease might have dissipated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.