when rebooting the computer in at the beginnin it has a little xp bar going a cross wel it takes me now 5mins or more to get of that screen and the computer is slow..i have tried scannin but nothign found any1 no whats wrong??

before it used to load up in bout 15seconds

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Have you made sure the system is clean of spware/adware etc?Checked if its anything on startup that may be causing this? RUn a disk cleanup and then from safe mode, run CHDKDSK and then defragment, not doing these regualrly may be one reason for a slow boot.

what do you mean by this:

RUn a disk cleanup and then from safe mode, run CHDKDSK and then defragment

can u give me step by step

hi ...

it means that you have to run chkdsk from safe mode (not CHDKDSK though) .. just boot from safe mode and then at the run... type CHKDSK and press enter .. also defragment your drive and uncheck any unnecessary items from startup by typing msconfig at the run ...

nope still the same but the msconfig thing it is set as normal startup in general and in system .ini, win.ini,services and startup everything is checked ....i was wondering if that was ok!!

so any otha way of sorting out the problem..i want it fixed quick plz

hmm ...

well what you could try is doing selective startup and putting a tick to all the settings except load startup items .. and select use original boot.ini .. and also in the win.ini you can unselect anything unnecessary after the first five options .. the first five are crucial .. an d on the startup .. unselect everything that is unnecessary ..

ok i will try that but once the computer is loaded the computer is still slow...not running smmothly...

could it be because i had removed nvidia windows xp display thin ..i removed it byu accident where can i download that from again

If by "nvidia windows xp display" you mean the little icon that runs in the system tray, that isn't your problem.

If you want to try to clean up your machine, you can use the guide that I link to in the bottom of my sig. You might be better off backing up what you want to keep, formatting the drive, and reinstalling Windows.

ok when i reinstall windows xp do i nee d the disc coz with the ccomputer i got i didnt gget a xp instalation disc n i bought da computer for £999

Call the vendor who sold you the PC and request the installation media - if they sold it to you with Windows installed then you should have been given installation media and a product key or else they may be pirating software...if that is the case then call the police. You can also look on the computer itself for a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) - if you have a COA note the product key and then borrow the install media/key from a friend to install Windows...you'll have to call Microsoft to register Windows with your COA or else you're breaking the law and putting both you and your friend at risk. Otherwise you're going to have to buy a licensed copy of Windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.