Hey all!

So my buddy just gave me his "dead" laptop. He pretty much gave up on it because it won't boot up. He says it was dead, but I disagree with him. I am guessing it's a power issue at some point. I know that it is getting some power because when I plug it in 2 of the little lcd status lights light up (The battery light and the light for when it's actually plugged in)

So far I've taken it apart and reseated everything. Then I bought a brand new
SWITCH BOARD 6-BUTTON.Hotkey Board 6-Button (10E+) (V000062290) and a new flat cable for it.

I unplugged the battery & tried to power the laptop on with AC Power only. & then tried it with just the battery.

I tried swapping the RAM with working memory I know works.

I have used a multimeter to verify that its getting good power out of that AC Power Adapter.

Although I did notice something that may point to the battery. When I have the power cord plugged in and the battery in I get both led lights. When I take the battery out I still have the led for the cord lit up. However when I try anything without the power cord and only the battery in nothing lights up.

My understanding is that some laptops need the battery even if it's operating off AC current because somehow the battery is in the circuit at all times? If the battery is missing or completely, totally toasted then the computer won't even boot up. Is that true???
Does anyone have any ideas????

Sorry I just realized that I forgot to say what model it is. It is a Toshiba Satellite A105-2141.

Hey all!

So my buddy just gave me his "dead" laptop. He pretty much gave up on it because it won't boot up. He says it was dead, but I disagree with him. I am guessing it's a power issue at some point. I know that it is getting some power because when I plug it in 2 of the little lcd status lights light up (The battery light and the light for when it's actually plugged in)

So far I've taken it apart and reseated everything. Then I bought a brand new
SWITCH BOARD 6-BUTTON.Hotkey Board 6-Button (10E+) (V000062290) and a new flat cable for it.

I unplugged the battery & tried to power the laptop on with AC Power only. & then tried it with just the battery.

I tried swapping the RAM with working memory I know works.

I have used a multimeter to verify that its getting good power out of that AC Power Adapter.

Although I did notice something that may point to the battery. When I have the power cord plugged in and the battery in I get both led lights. When I take the battery out I still have the led for the cord lit up. However when I try anything without the power cord and only the battery in nothing lights up.

My understanding is that some laptops need the battery even if it's operating off AC current because somehow the battery is in the circuit at all times? If the battery is missing or completely, totally toasted then the computer won't even boot up. Is that true???
Does anyone have any ideas????

I too have the same problem along with a "dead as a door nail" battery and was wondering the same thing?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.