I have a Tecra 8100 laptop. I've just upgraded its Toshiba DVD-ROM (SD-C2402) drive to CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive (Toshiba model: SD-R2102). Now I get "IDE #1 Error" anytime computer boots up. And, it won't boot from a CD. It is working fine from Windows (XP) after it's re-seated. Is anyway to get rid of that error message? Please help! Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Dave

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

G'day

I have just posted all the info and images about this problem

cheers

Hey guys you sound like real Laptop Gurus,
anyway I had this problem with my DVD drive (SD-C2402) in a
Toshiba Satellite 2710DVD, my DVD drive keeps blinking everytime I turn on my computer, back in Vancouver a so-called "Toshiba Certified Service Technician" repaired my laptop as he claims by replacing my DVD drive with a new one, I believed him at the time because I had not opened a lptop before but now that I have done it after moving to Ontario, Canada I come to realize taht maybe my laptop still has the same DVD drive. I dont believe it laptops have quite a simple Plug and Play structure inside, I payed $400 for. The technician temporarily fixed it some way I get the same problem again now, I come to realize maybe its not the drives fault.

#################################
When I restart my computer..the "TOSHIBA" thing in red stays there for about an hour, while my DVD drive keeps blinking, then about 7 minutes later it moves on to saying IDE # 1 Error at the top left hand corner ( DVD Drive still blinking, not ejecting ) and When the computer is done booting up the DVD drive is still blinking and there is no CD/DVD device detected by my laptop.. no mention in the Device Manager or My Computer.

Guys Please help me out with this,
I am not aware of the term "Flash it".
Please tell me how to fix this in the simplest words.

fizzyboy88

I have the same problem with my Tecra 8100. The new dvd rom Sd-R2102 i just put in works OK but every time I restart my computer, the " IDE~1 ERRA" comes on before it boots. I've to unpuge the drive and reseated it and ask the window XP to find it again before I can use it. Can you helpme? I'm new in the comunity and also new for ITs with limited knowage. Thank you.

I have the same problem with my Tecra 8100. The new dvd rom Sd-R2102 i just put in works OK but every time I restart my computer, the " IDE~1 ERRA" comes on before it boots. I've to unpuge the drive and reseated it and ask the window XP to find it again before I can use it. Can you helpme? I'm new in the comunity and also new for ITs with limited knowage. Thank you.

This is a REALLY old thread. Please search the forum for this error-- it's been discussed at length here. I believe there's a fix available on this forum for that.

i have the same prob:
old teac out, new one in (same one) -> IDE error
old one BACK IN - > also IDE Error now that was not there before.

Toshiba site and support is crap, some other partner meant that
a) IDE controller could be dead (why is then my HD still working?)
b) the drive connection could be not 100% (but it has power and opens etc.)

i can not flash the new drive to slave cause it is not recogniced at my laptop, i dont have an adaptor to connect to desktop. but even if i could flash it right, like my old drive is already, it would not be recogniced i guess....

what do u think?

bios settings are not accessable (on my toshiba satellite pro 2100 and i dont know how to check if the IDE controller is broken or how to read errors out of it)
do I need to solder two pins in my cd drive and everything would be (slave) better?

thanx for all answers (if there are any ;))

I fixed the problem long ago. The answer is in one of the old threads.
I bridge the pins 45 and 47 on the new optical drive together by simply melting a drop of fuse wire in between the two pins. Problem solved. No more Error message.

i hate no new ideas/answers... :(

;)

i have read everything...

Your drive needs to be set to Inverted Master...I offer a service and can perform

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.