Hi!

I have a Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072. The CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive was replaced with the exact same model # SD2412. Toshiba's "useless" website suggests unplugging all devices (CD, battery, memory), which I did and this did NOT resolve the IDE #1 error. I'm reading in other forums about flash, BIOS, IDE setting, etc. There has to be another way to 'flash' the CD-RW without soldering pins. Anybody have a 'fix' for this???

Thanks! :?:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hi,

Don't waste your time with Toshiba. MOST HAVE NO CLUE. I found one person who did. He informed me that I had to purchase a drive from Toshiba Direct (who by the way does not sell internal parts for notebooks). I got redirected to National Parts Depot who knew nothing about the drives needing to be specific to my particular machine. Luckily, the sales rep I had was helpful and put a note on the invoice stating that I was exempt from the normal 20% restocking fee if the drive didn't work.

Toshiba reps instruct me to take my notebook to an authorized dealer who charge a flat rate fee of $110.00 plus parts. I couldn't get them to answer the phone. They must be REALLY busy with other Toshiba customers.

Good Luck!

U are not the only one with the dreaded IDE #1 error. I have a toshiba TE2000 laptop with a DVD rom onboard. I am in the process of swapping it for a CDRW/DVD rom combo unit. Either a UJDA 720 or a Sd-R2212 toshiba unit will be used. the problem is that i get the IDE#1 error with both units but not with my existing DVD rom. I went to the toshiba site - USELESS. I peroused the web for all manner of fixes and got nothing but this pin 47/45 short cct. put pin 47 to ground via pin 45. well this hardware fix is not in my books at all.

I believe that the problem lies in the toshiba bios which is not written very user freindly at all.
on a normal desktop PC with an AMI or phoenix bios, they will detect just about anything Cd that is thrown at them. why not a laptop?

the bios must tell the operating system what is out there in the way of hardware so that the OS can configure itselt to suit. Toshiba bios dosnt want to do this at all.
another thing two, is that there are no switches or jumpers on the drive to make them master or slave or cable. what a blow this is!
further more I notice in the reboot disc for my TE2000 that under IDE software, it says that it will disregard configuration for secondary drives. not a good thing at all.
so we are left in a quandry here! how the hell do you get a toshiba CDRW/DVD to be recognised by the laptop BIOS without doing hardware jumper configuration?
If anybody knows the secret way that toshiba techs do thiis, then let us know immediately? you will help half the world solve this problem!

rob

Hi!

I have a Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072. The CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive was replaced with the exact same model # SD2412. Toshiba's "useless" website suggests unplugging all devices (CD, battery, memory), which I did and this did NOT resolve the IDE #1 error. I'm reading in other forums about flash, BIOS, IDE setting, etc. There has to be another way to 'flash' the CD-RW without soldering pins. Anybody have a 'fix' for this???

Thanks! :?:

:cool:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I am on my third CD/DVD RW with the exact Toshiba part number... I am so P O'd about this situation I cannot even begin to express (without getting deleted from this forum) :evil: You have no idea how irritated I am............I wish they had an office on the East Coast...I'd make a point of walking in and letting them know what I think....I hope to get some help from some people at work (in the industry).........I plan to share all info I receive..I hope to break the "code"

BBS

J

Hi,
On reflection, I think that Toshiba have deliberately done this so that you have to buy more product direct from them. they did the same thing with there old laser printers - when it got to 15000 pages you had to go to a dealer or toshiba to get it zeroized or throw it away. lucky cartridge coys can now do this! Same with this software for flashing CDRW/DVDs to be master primary or seconday drives. I note that on the TE2000 the cdrom is recognised as E:\ drive (secondary master) not D:\ drive (primary slave).
Therefore one has to have the software from somewhere to "flash" the second hand or new drives into a state where it will be recognied by toshiba propriety bios. Wot a bastard hey?

so if anyone has this software, let us know asap!!!!
rob

this is what I got from toshiba!

It means the drive was not purchased from Toshiba Direct and it
does not have Toshiba firmware, it is probably a drive with generic
firmware. They can be put into an external case and work through a USB
but not internally in the laptop.
Thanks,
Toshiba Technical Support
:rolleyes:

this is what I got from toshiba!

It means the drive was not purchased from Toshiba Direct and it
does not have Toshiba firmware, it is probably a drive with generic
firmware. They can be put into an external case and work through a USB
but not internally in the laptop.
Thanks,
Toshiba Technical Support
:rolleyes:

Toshiba direct.....sends you to National Parts Depot. Toshiba does NOT carry these drives! There are so many different phone numbers on Toshiba's web site, that one of them actually brings you to a 'sex line' NICE HUH?????? Toshiba Tech Support IS USELESS!

dont toshiba just suck. :evil:
I would like to ad some more to this thread, but I have a feeling that Im gonna take a hammer to my Toshiba laptop so if I dont finish this message its becau

BECAUSE I SMASHED IT UP :lol: ...............JUST KIDDING

GAVE IT ANOTHER GO AND WOULD YOU BELIEVE I DONE IT :cool:

HERES THE DEAL
thanks to an earlier post

I note that on the TE2000 the cdrom is recognised as E:\ drive (secondary master) not D:\ drive (primary slave).
Therefore one has to have the software from somewhere to "flash" the second hand or new drives into a state where it will be recognied by toshiba propriety bios. Wot a bastard hey?

I DID SOME DIGGING AND YOU CAN FLASH THE FIRMWARE OF THE CD DRIVE
I GOT THE INFO AND FIRMWARE FROM The Firmware Page

MY SECOND HAND TOSHIBA SD-R2002 NOW WORKS WITH MY TOSHIBA SATELLITE 1800-314
UP Y***S TOSHIBA

Peeps I hope you check this out and it works for you as it did for me
BE CAREFULL IN UPDATING YOUR FIRMWARE AS IT CAN RENDER YOUR DRIVE UNUSABLE SO READ AS MUCH AS POSSABLE AND BE SURE TO USE THE CORRECT FIRMWARE

I have the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1552. I got an exact CD drive replacement and it didn't work. However, I don't know how to "flash the firmware". At least, I don't know how because my hard drive is a brand new one and there's no OS on it because the CD drive doesn't work. So basically, I don't know a way of transferring any data to my laptop because there's no OS and no working CD drive. Could someone please help me either install Windows or flash the firmware? I'd appreciate it.

Could someone please help me either install Windows or flash the firmware? I'd appreciate it.

FLASHING A CD DRIVE NEEDS TO BE DONE ON ANOTHER LAPTOP THAT RECOGNISES THE CD DRIVE, (you need access to another laptop).
Example I flashed my cd drive for my TOSHIBA Laptop on an ACER Travelmate Laptop

A floppy disc drive is needed (you may be able to use a USB flash drive instead of a floppy).

You need to download the CORRECT firmware for your cd drive (WHAT IS THE MODEL NUMBER OF THE CD DRIVE) copy it to floppy, install the cd drive into a different laptop, boot up the laptop from the floppy which will run the firmware flashing. once the flashing has completed remove the cd drive from the laptop and install back into your toshiba

But otherwise the easiest way to install an operating system if you cannot flash the cd drive is by external USB cd drive

Hi Folks,
Hopefully somebody can help me out with this one. I have a Toshiba Satellite A45-S150 laptop computer that flashes an IDE 1 error when booting up. I found that it is related to a cd rom error. I took out and reinserted the drive but that didn't help. In desperation to keep this computer up and running for at least another year of graduate school, I bought another identical drive (same model number: GCC-4241N). Unfortunately this drive (which the seller assured is in perfect working condition) was not recognized by my computer.

I should also mention that I went into the control panel -> system and deleted both the IDE primary and IDE secondary programs and rebooted after installing the new cd-rom drive in order to have the computer recognize the cdrom after reinstalling the drives (this didn't work either). Help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.