I recently purchased a microsoft natural media keyboard. As some of you might know, these keyboards only seem to come with ps/2 plugs unless you take it a step up and pay the extra 60$ (on top of the $60 some odd you are already paying!)

Anyways, I made purchase of a ps/2 - > usb connector, and the keyboard seems to work beautifully, no problems there. However, even though I installed the drivers, the special keys (messenger, my documents, mute, and all the other special buttons on the keyboard) do not seem to function at all. I didn't quite know what was wrong, however, the volume controls do work (although mute does not). The media buttons (play, pause, stop, etc.) do not work.

One additional piece of information I should add is that this is going into a laptop computer, so there will be two keyboards simultaneously working. I can at any time switch between the two and sucessfully type.

If anyone could offer any help on the matter I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What "step up" are you referring to?
If you mean the Wireless Optical Desktop Pro I'd consider that money well spent.
But then I'm already using a $100+ keyboard in the Logitech Cordless Desktop Comfort and don't think spending that kind of money to prevent my hands and shoulders from hurting like hell after a day of coding is money wasted.

I've a hard time finding the Optical Desktop Pro though, seems hardly anyone over here stocks it.
The listed price is about 50% higher than that of the Natural Keyboard, not twice as high.

Irrespective of what it costs I currently have the natural keyboard with a ps/2 adapter which is identical in layout to the other one. Really, what I am hoping to do is to get these multimedia buttons up and working. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do?

Thanks a lot,
Jim

What "step up" are you referring to?
If you mean the Wireless Optical Desktop Pro I'd consider that money well spent.
But then I'm already using a $100+ keyboard in the Logitech Cordless Desktop Comfort and don't think spending that kind of money to prevent my hands and shoulders from hurting like hell after a day of coding is money wasted.

I've a hard time finding the Optical Desktop Pro though, seems hardly anyone over here stocks it.
The listed price is about 50% higher than that of the Natural Keyboard, not twice as high.

the same Layout is one thing, the same internal spec is another.

It's possible you might not ever get it to work. I'm not incredibly up on USB vs PS/2 connections/controllers, but it would seem that the keycodes might be different or something, but the software just won't recognize your keyboard as being one.

Could you just take the USB model from the other system, and swap with the PS/2 keyboard? That would be the most straightforward thing FWIW.

Actually, I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard... I bought a TrippLite Y PS/2 to USB adapter to connect the keyboard to the system but my extra keys aren't working either. I have noticed, however, that the mute/volume buttons on the laptop are the same as the ones on the MS keyboard. I'm wondering if they won't work on the keyboard because they already exist..... If anyone can help get them to work please email me at shawn@soulwriting.net.

the same Layout is one thing, the same internal spec is another.

It's possible you might not ever get it to work. I'm not incredibly up on USB vs PS/2 connections/controllers, but it would seem that the keycodes might be different or something, but the software just won't recognize your keyboard as being one.

Could you just take the USB model from the other system, and swap with the PS/2 keyboard? That would be the most straightforward thing FWIW.

was buying the adapter the only way you could get the keyboard to work?

Mine works part of the time, but not always. I also have an HP Pavillion

Thanks!
Renee

Ok I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 that I bought the microsoft wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0/microsoft wireless natural multimedia keyboard combo. I got the mouse to work however stupid balloon window pops up when I try to activate the keyboard.I bought adapter to make it USB since my laptop don't have the other port. It says "USB Device Not Recognized" I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times trying to get this to work if anyone has ideas how i can fix this please email me at russa@bresnan.net ASAP. :@

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.