i just got a graphics card that needed more power than my supply could handle it worked for a bit but then it fried the supply got a new supply (with more watts) and a new card, my computer works just as it did but now when i install my graphics card and try to boot up nothing on the the screen is it possible that just the AGP bus was damaged and how can i tell

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Not to be expected IMHO.

That defies to some extent what you've described, though. Logically, the old card tried to pull more amps than the PSU could supply so the PSU gave out. I wouldn't have expected the AGP card to have been damaged but can't rule that out.

Have you got your settings right like disabling the internal monitor?

It's one of those I'd usually need to have in front of me to solve.

my motherboard has a built in video card but i did disable the drivers and I have followed the instructions to the T but still nothing. The card isn't bad i know that, but it almost like my comp isn't detecting it at all. When it first happened I heard a a small pop and there was that fried circuit smell like out of a over heated electric motor i thought it was just the psu but i cant be sure

On what you've described, fear the worst. Mobos aren't worth repairing as their replacement is cheap enough (if you're not broke).

Thanks for all the help

Update:

I tried to install my card again and i noticed a few things with my card installed my mobos built in card doest work either does that mean its detecting it?

Also the heat sink fan for the card doesn't turn on could that be a problem with the card?

One other thing i tried when i got the first card before the psu was fried i installed it but i didnt hook up the 4pin power i got a message on the screen saying your video card is not plugged in. So i tried it with this new one to try and get a response but there was nothing
Any more help i dont have the money for a new mobo and everthing else works just fine with it. Thanks again

When you put the AGP card in, if the drivers are well behaved, they'll force the internal graphics to be disabled; in saying that, I know that's the case for Nvidia on PCI-E but wouldn't be sure about AGP.

Does the on-board graphics work when the AGP card is out? If so, then what appears to be happening is that the AGP card is registered and the on-board graphics disabled.

You should in any case go into Device Manager and report in all configurations what is reported for the Display Adapters and indeed whethe or not both are seen present and one is disabled.

You haven't mentioned which motherboard or which AGP graphics so there's little for us to research. Also it would be helpful to know the PSU wattage you had in then and what you've got now.

If you plug in the AGP card it needs power. The AGP bus provides power and if it's not enough, the card reports back and you are prompted to supply more. You would be expected to turn off, connect the 4 wire supply, power on and off you go. I wouldn't expect damage to anything.

So, with the drip feed of details we're getting, can we please have the full picture?

my mobo is a asus A7VBX-LA Socket A (462) AMD Motheboard w/Sound, Video, Lan with a amd athlon 3100+ speeds of 2.20 Ghz 236 mb, with 512 mb pc2700 ddr - sdram memory and my video card is a visiontek ATI radeon x1550 512mb agp

Also wondering if downloading chipset or bios drivers would help

In order to help further, I do need the answers to my other questions:

Does the on-board graphics work when the AGP card is out?

You should in any case go into Device Manager and report in all configurations (AGP in + power connected then AGP out) what is reported for the Display Adapters and indeed whether or not both are seen present and one is disabled.

yes the display works with the card out but not when its in as for your other question I'm not sure what you mean i couldn't find any thing that said AGP i did see that my nvidia port io control driver a non plug and play driver is not working could that be the problem and sorry im still new at a lot of this

You would have the AGP card in (with the power wire attached). Incidentally you could check that the 4 pin wire goes to the power distribution loom point on the motherboard. I hope it's the right voltage!

Anyway, with the card in as above, go into Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager

Scroll down to Display Adapters and there should only be the AGP adapter listed. If it isn't, the onboard adapter will be listed and it means that the AGP card hasn't bee recognised. Whatever is there, click onto the device and take a screenshot to post in your reply or report what's in the location entry and the status box.

If both are present (which is what I would expect), the status of one of them should be disabled. Please report what you see.

With my card in my monitor does not display anything not from my on board or my new card

So we've tried everything I can think of.

With the AGP card out, there may be something in System Devices under Device Manager that says the AGP port is disabled - I no longer have an AGP port PC so can't say how/if AGP is represented in Device Manager.

could it be my bios i know that controls the order of a lot of programs but i know resetting it could damage my system

There may be an an AGP setting in the BIOS as I recall.

If there it allows you to set x4 or x8 or whatever. Worth a look and a try.

Good thinking.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.