I have an Agere PCI modem in my HP AMD. I have XP, DOS, and 98 installed in 3 partitions on my HD. My modem works great in XP but won't work on 98. I downloaded the correct driver for my Agere (98 type) and everything looks good. My hardware page says "no problems". Hardware device page says modem looks good. Using diagnostics, more info, goes to the modem and comes back as not seeing the modem.

I can input from the command line. At first I got a write fault error so I reinstalled the modem software. I now can send "atdt>com2" and I don't get an error but I still can't see the modem. I think I need to tell the com port to talk to the PCI but I don't know how.

toolmanx (dick)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Do you get OK after sending ATZ

Is the modem using the same com port in XP as it shows in 98...

Is there something in 98 using the com port that XP is using for the modem

Do you get OK after sending ATZ

Is the modem using the same com port in XP as it shows in 98...

Is there something in 98 using the com port that XP is using for the modem

You pose some interesting questions. I do not get an OK after I send to the com port. I hadn't thought of that. I should get one.

The answer to your second question is covered by the third but to answer it directly. No, 98 uses com 2 now and XP uses com 3.

XP and 98 do not run at the same time. I either boot up in 98 or I boot up in XP.

You will be interested to know that the people that HP uses from India to help were baffled and gave up. I don't think that is significant since they didn't know much.

My com port uses mem range EA000000 to EA0000FF, I\O uses 9000 to 9007, and I\O 9400 to 94FF, IRQ 5. When in XP, all is the same except the IRQ is 18. I need a method of using debug to look at the memory after sending ATDT to see if it goes to the memory or not.

toolmanx
dick

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner but life got busy...

Is anything on the 98 box using com 3 ?

It would be better if the plug and play was not being pushed to different ports for 98 and XP...

Try manually pushing the modem to Com 3 and locking it down...

Do you have serial ports in CMOS that are turned on...
Do you use external serial ports for anything?

Just more ideas ...

I have been busy so I will respond as soon as I can...

To ThongInspector:

There is a test that can be run in debug which shows what com ports are available. When running it in debug, my hex shows only com 1 & 2 exist. The fact that XP can use 3 is a little confusing but that is how it is. Using Hardware Devices, 98 indicates I have com 1 used for exterior com work and com 2 is assigned to my Agere modem. Agere does all it's work directly in the registry. It calls a driver called 0000 which Agere builds in the registry with all the connect AT's ect. The only thing missing in 0000 is a reference to the PCI bus, "bus 0, device 10, function 0" which is called in XP. Other than that, my XP and 98 registry stuff look pretty similar.

I wish I knew more about how a signal travels from point to point as it moves toward the modem. When I input to com2, I assume I write into memory at the indicated resource area. I'm guessing that then it should go to the PCI to be routed into the modem. Just guessing. I'd like to be able to follow the track in hex and see where things stop. I'd hate to write into the registry and find out my problem isn't where I think it is. Worst case I could spend several days reloading my whole HD.

Since your modem is plug and pray...

How about this...
Do you have a second built in com port you can enable in bios...

It might force your 98 setup to use com port 3

I'll look and get back later. Nothing on my box is using com 1 but the computer likes to reserve it for external com jobs. I can't force Agere to com 3 now. It gives me a message that it can't be done.

I'll look and get back later. Nothing on my box is using com 1 but the computer likes to reserve it for external com jobs. I can't force Agere to com 3 now. It gives me a message that it can't be done.

I now have Agere using com 3. Every thing acted the same. No connection to the modem. I put in the PCI bus information in the registry but that didn't change anything either. I'm running out of ideas. I'm not sure that the fact that the registry now knows which PCI device to use is doing anything. I don't know what triggers PCI to move info around.

I thought I had it guys. One of my called drivers was vcomm.vxd I looked everywhere for vcomm and it was no where on my HD. Reading up on vcomm, it does just what I needed it to do or so it appeared. I loaded it and put it in the path. Nothing.

Then I put it "load =" in win.ini, then "run=" in win.ini, then I tried loading it in sys.ini. Nothing! I put "device=" in sys.ini Nothing!

So much for that try. Any more ideas.

Just for kicks, I changed vcomm to comm in the registry entry that loads Agere. That caused a yellow ! in Hardware Devices. It showed I had lost my IRQ. I put back my vcomm and my yellow ! was gone and I have IRQ 5 back. :rolleyes:

What a sec, why are you using WIndows 98 and DOS anyway?

I have programs that will only run in that environment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.