i have an asus p4sd-vx oem from sony. It origionally came with 8 usb 2.0 ports however now they are all reading slower than that either usb 1.0 or 1.1. I know this becasue of my pen drive it recognizes as a high speed device in a non highspeed port (i tried all ports) also my sound blaster external 24 bit sound card has to operate at 16 bit becasue its not usb 2. I tried one device only after it booted up and still the problem. i also reinstalled the drivers with the origional and updated ones with no help. also sony told me to locate my local dealer for help (what tech support). anyways i dont want to get rid of the board but is it going? oh ya i must say my intergrated sound went a while ago ( maybe at the same time as the usb ports?) i dunno that was the beginning of september. Any help would be enourmasly helpful because i am lost and exhausted in searching for a solution.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for szukalski

So the integrated sound is no go either?
What drivers did you reinstall? All possible ones?
It's usually a driver issue.. but if the onboard sound is not going, your mb may have a fault.

So the integrated sound is no go either?
What drivers did you reinstall? All possible ones?
It's usually a driver issue.. but if the onboard sound is not going, your mb may have a fault.

ya i hope its not the mobo but thats what im thinking too...the sound one day just stopped working i did nothing to the computer...i reverted back with a restore point but no sound, but no error either...i got a usb sound card then becasue i had no room for a pci card. Im guessing the usb controller went at the same time becasue i wouldnt have known. i had a 16 bit external sound card temporarly until i got my logitech 5.1's a few weeks ago with a 24 bit card and i noticed it then. I also got a pen drive at the same time and it made me more aware of it. Im ok with replacing the mobo, but do you know of any that will be a good replacement?

System specs: sony rz 32g with:
2.6 HT P4 northwood
1 gig pc 2700 ram (single channel 256x2, 512x1)
200 gig wd hd (had 280 but my 80 died :cry: )
geforce 4 mx440 8x :rolleyes: (yes its gonna be replaced real soon)
linksys wireless gaming adaptor from my xbox (linksys wireless pci adaptor died too) :cry:
creative 24 bit external sound
logitech 5300e's
sony 17inch lcd
running win home and pro sp2

Ohh and i reinstalled them with everydriver i could find that might work with my board because sony had none and asus doesnt have it listed becasue its oem for sony and hp (maybe a few more too), but i read lots of people with this issue all over with no issue, so a solution here could help many! :lol:

You may not even own that computer anymore...but if what above happens, do two things....

1) clear the CMOS. Move the jumper on the bottom right of the motherboard and leave it there with the computer plugged in for 10 seconds at least....move the jumper back, turn on the compter...this jumper is marked ont he motherboard as well....

The computer should complain that the CMOS settings are wrong and then give you options...F1, F2, etc...

2) Go into setup (F2) for the computer. Make sure all the default settings are reset.

I did this and like magic my enhanced host controller appeared again re-enabling USB 2.0..

Hope this helps anyone who still might have this problem....the problem is not driver related because the drivers exist in windows/system32/drivers...the problem is that the computer cannot "see" the enhanced USB host controller to install it in the first place...resetting the CMOS and setup unlocked the problem...;)

You may not even own that computer anymore...but if what above happens, do two things....

1) clear the CMOS. Move the jumper on the bottom right of the motherboard and leave it there with the computer plugged in for 10 seconds at least....move the jumper back, turn on the compter...this jumper is marked ont he motherboard as well....

The computer should complain that the CMOS settings are wrong and then give you options...F1, F2, etc...

2) Go into setup (F2) for the computer. Make sure all the default settings are reset.

I did this and like magic my enhanced host controller appeared again re-enabling USB 2.0..

Hope this helps anyone who still might have this problem....the problem is not driver related because the drivers exist in windows/system32/drivers...the problem is that the computer cannot "see" the enhanced USB host controller to install it in the first place...resetting the CMOS and setup unlocked the problem...;)

I just registered on this site for the sole purpose of thanking you for this guide. I have an ASUS P4PE MB and have been fighting with the loss of my USB 2.0 for months now with no success. Your solution did work like magic! Now the only problem I am still having is my USB devices continuously disconnecting and reconnecting (virtually).

I started having this problem ever since I got my second external USB HD. I then purchased a self powered USB hub and plugged the HD’s into that. Problem went away for a little while then came back with vengeance! I have 3 external hard drives but can’t even hardly use them seeing how they loose connection while transferring data unless the data are small enough to transfer before the USB disconnects and reconnects. Really frustrating! If I unplug the hub and all of the External USB drives I don't seem to have any problem as long as the USB devices remaining to be plugged in are Printers, Mouse, Scanner, (small USB devices)

I cannot figure out why this MB has so many darn USB ports but I can’t even use half of them? It seems like a 420W power supply should be able to handle this. The hub and all of the external HD's have there own designated power supplies.

Any help would deeply be appreciated.

I currently have the following USB devices connected without having any problems:
Canon Pixma Printer
USB Logitech Wireless Mouse
Canon USB LiDE Scanner (No Power supply)
APC UPS Battery Backup (USB)

Thanks in advance :cry:

tcio

I'm glad to have found this thread and like tcio, I registered just to ring in on this topic.

I have a P4PE system that has several years solid usage and it's been reliable as a rock - I haven't felt any need to make the micro-increases to faster FSB and CPU boards, although I have a dual-Opty replacement waiting for the final Vista release.

On my desk I have three systems - my P4PE main, a file server and the new Opty station. After trying and rejecting mini-KVMs that didn't work, I put in a decent Aten dual-head KVM. It works perfectly, letting me switch two high-res monitors and even a gaming keyboard with ease... except when returning to the P4PE system.

That system perpetually has problems with USB devices (and USB hubs like the KVM) being reconnected. About one time in three, it won't recognize the big keyboard, the external sound box or the mouse. IF I'm lucky, it will recognize the mini keyboard I use for direct KVM access, and I can sort of fix things...

The sort-of fix is to either reboot or log off, both of which are a PITA as that workstation has a half-dozen desktop tasks running. The really, really annoying thing is that the USB devices reconnect AS the system is shutting down!

I have no other USB issues at all with the system - not speed or connectivity or anything. Is there any way to make the system more responsive to USB hotplugging? I'd be happy to disable the onboard USB and plug in a separate card if I thought that was a fix. Would it bypass the problem or just be subject to the same issues?

TIA for thoughts and help on this.

I too had many problems with the USB on this motherboard. Setting the USB voltage to low instead of the default medium in the BIOS cured my continual disconnect issues.

I too had many problems with the USB on this motherboard. Setting the USB voltage to low instead of the default medium in the BIOS cured my continual disconnect issues.

How on earth did you figure this out? I've been struggling with this for quite awhile now. The problem came to a head this week in corruption of a Toshiba 16G USB stick with subsequent loss of data. My Swissbits stick would connect and disconnect in rapid succession (but its file system never became corrupted like the Toshiba's did). I also have several MP3 players that would not connect half the time.
Following your BIOS suggestion appears to have made these problems go away. Thanks for saving me a bunch of cash (I was in the process of putting an i7 box order together to deal with this situation. I get to be a cheapskate with my P4PE a little longer <g>)

-Dan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.