Quick question...I overclocked my computer using the ASUS AI OCing tool. I tried to go 30% (3.9GHz) but the PC wouldn't boot, is that because the motherboard only supports upto 3.6GHz? Or was it just unstable.

I am leaving it at 3.6GHz and don't plan to manually OC the processor.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for szukalski

Probably just unstable.
A 30% overclock is quite a bit. I'm assuming you didn't change the vCore (voltage going to the cpu) ?
When you run a cpu faster than what it's intended for, you usually have to give it a bit more juice.
There's always the possibility you've reached the limit for the cpu as well.
Try to find the max overclock for your cpu, keep increasing the overclock slowly until you find the last point at which it'll boot.
I haven't used that util so I don't know how it works. Are you running a divider on your memory or does it do that automatically? If it doesn't and you aren't, the RAM may be trying to run too fast for it's own good.

Probably just unstable.
A 30% overclock is quite a bit. I'm assuming you didn't change the vCore (voltage going to the cpu) ?
When you run a cpu faster than what it's intended for, you usually have to give it a bit more juice.
There's always the possibility you've reached the limit for the cpu as well.
Try to find the max overclock for your cpu, keep increasing the overclock slowly until you find the last point at which it'll boot.
I haven't used that util so I don't know how it works. Are you running a divider on your memory or does it do that automatically? If it doesn't and you aren't, the RAM may be trying to run too fast for it's own good.

Well before I used the ASUS AI OC feature I used CPU-ID to examine the CPU information. Before overclocking I was at 3.0GHz, voltage 1.6, FSB 200MHz, multiplier x 15, Bus 800MHz, idle temp 27.5.

It appears that overclocking using this utility raised the FSB to 240MHz, with a BUS speed of 960MHz and upped the voltage to 1.680v, idle temp is up slightly to 30-31c.

Is there anything else I should check. I think 3.6GHz is fast enough for now.

Thanks

I think 3Ghz is fast enough for now! 1.68V on the CPU voltage is not healthy. Granted, it works fine now, but too much juice can gradually kill a CPU. Your results might vary, but to be safe I would just sit on default speeds - 3Ghz is more than enough for general usage and great for games.

If you really want to overclock, then stay below 1.6V, and see how far that gets you. Also, what speed is your RAM running at? You can check with a utility like CPU-Z.

I think 3Ghz is fast enough for now! 1.68V on the CPU voltage is not healthy. Granted, it works fine now, but too much juice can gradually kill a CPU. Your results might vary, but to be safe I would just sit on default speeds - 3Ghz is more than enough for general usage and great for games.

If you really want to overclock, then stay below 1.6V, and see how far that gets you. Also, what speed is your RAM running at? You can check with a utility like CPU-Z.

Coconut, it didn't raise the voltage to 1.68 until I went up to 3.6GHz, would your recommend keeping it at 3.0GHz or would it be alright to drop it to 3.3GHz @ 1.6v? I have CPU-Z and will check the RAM speed when I get out of class.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.