Hey, does anyone know if theirs a noticable difference between regular AMD 3500+'s with Newcastle cores compared to the 3500+'s with a 90nm core (Winchester)? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you mean a difference in performance then no, there's not ;)

Any difference at all minus performance difference?

If you mean visual difference, for identification purposes, then you'd need to remove the heatspreader to see it. The die core of the Winchester is about 40% smaller. If you are trying to identify which processor core you have, it'd be best to check the OPN code on the processor. For the Newcastle cored 3500+ that is ADA3500DEP4AW and for the Winchester core 3500+ it is ADA3500DIK4BI

Does that help?

Yup, I was just wondering because i'm buying one but wasnt sure which to choose from, I think ill get the 90nm because it has a "Enhanced by SP2" sticker on the box lol.. nah but I guess since its newer and a smaller core might as well get the newer technology it works like the other 3500+ no compatibility issues.

Better purchase because it should run cooler, I'd consider. 67 watts as compared to 89 watts ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.