I'm getting ready to build my first cumputer. I know what i want it to do just need to find out what are the best parts to put together, to get what i want out of my new computer. I guess my biggest question is what is the best size processor for an ATX tower w a 300 to 400 watt power supply. as well as are there ant special rules about what sound, and video cards to use.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I'm getting ready to build my first cumputer. I know what i want it to do just need to find out what are the best parts to put together, to get what i want out of my new computer. I guess my biggest question is what is the best size processor for an ATX tower w a 300 to 400 watt power supply. as well as are there ant special rules about what sound, and video cards to use.

processor competly depends on what you are doing...gaming amd 64, video editing or anything else but gaming stick with intel p4, for light use go with a celleron or barton or something along those lines...but it depends on needs i guess

I want to play games and surf the web nothing big, but i do like high grapic games, and can't stand waiting for pages to load.

Totally agree. The very first thing you should do is to sit down and answer the question:

"What things do I actually want to DO with this computer?"

Then read this topic:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread13632.html

I want to play games and surf the web nothing big, but i do like high grapic games, and can't stand waiting for pages to load.

Games is big! New PC games are about the most demanding job you can ask of your PC. They require that you focus most of your attention on the display card you choose. Trying to save on the display card means you'll end up with a PC which is less suited to games.

1Gb of RAM is also a benefit to modern games, although 512 Mb will do if you need to keep costs down.

Well, web pages isn't exactly a processor issue lol hell I have a 600mhz Pentium 3 as it is but with a Cable connection and things are lightning fast. I'd suggest for you an AMD maybe a 3500+ for high end game performance or if games arent so important an Intel 3.0 or 3.2Ghz. Video card for nothing that will drain your pocket a 9800 series can handle anything.

We now need to know your budget before further advice is given, really. It's no use having advice about components to use if you simply aren't going to be able to afford them. Give an indication of how much money can be spent on the system, and people can advise what sort of components you could use to buil the best possible system within that budget :)

Well, web pages isn't exactly a processor issue lol hell I have a 600mhz Pentium 3 as it is but with a Cable connection and things are lightning fast. I'd suggest for you an AMD maybe a 3500+ for high end game performance or if games arent so important an Intel 3.0 or 3.2Ghz. Video card for nothing that will drain your pocket a 9800 series can handle anything.

Anything is better then what i've got now, it's 166 with with i don't know what. how can i find out what i have in this machine, so i know if i can use any of it. have no idea what in this thing besides a 56 CD rom and a zip desk. how can i look in the bios.

If your system is a '166' then I'm afraid you are looking at a complete new system. The components in that old system would not be reusable in any modern PC.

I would like to build this computer on a low budgit. I've found a tower for cheaps on $30- with shipping and everything, I can also get some parts for a family member if they fit the specs correctly. I want to use the CD rom, zip, floppy, mouse, keyboard, and speaker i have already. the only new parts I really want to but would all the other internal conponents, and a new monitor. so I was think $200 total if that.

On that old system you have there, right-click on 'My Computer' and choose Properties. On the 'General' tab you should have information about 'Computer'. Please tell us what it says.

Then click on 'Device Manager, click on the plus sign beside CD-ROM and tell us what the listed devices there are.

On that old system you have there, right-click on 'My Computer' and choose Properties. On the 'General' tab you should have information about 'Computer'. Please tell us what it says.

Then click on 'Device Manager, click on the plus sign beside CD-ROM and tell us what the listed devices there are.

Microsoft 98, 4.10.2222A , GATEWAY, DNA, 1523-OEM-0079766-77221, GENUINE INTEL, PENTIUM(r) PROCESOR, 64.0 MB RAM, E-IDE CD ROM 56X/AKH

Okay, is there a model number or other model identification printed on that Gateway PC somewhere? I'd like to accurately determine if your components are actually reusable.

So far, my suspicion is that the best way to use your budgetted funds is to search for the best secondhand PC you can get with it.

Okay, is there a model number or other model identification printed on that Gateway PC somewhere? I'd like to accurately determine if your components are actually reusable.

So far, my suspicion is that the best way to use your budgetted funds is to search for the best secondhand PC you can get with it.

IT SAYS P5-133

Right. your CD-ROM is a 52x CD reader, and will be reusable. The hard drive in your system will possibly be suitable for use as extra storage, but not as a main drive for a more modern system. You've already mentioned that you want to replace the monitor, and I'm afraid it's highly unlikely that any other component in that PC is reusable. It's simply too old, and quite possibly even the keyboard and mouse use outdated connection methods.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid your best move is to hunt high and low to see if you can get hold of a secondhand system from somewhere, with at least 256Mb of DDR RAM, a processor of 2GHz or better, and an AGP slot for an add-in Graphics card. You may be able to find one within your budget. O'm afraid your available funds are too low to consider other courses of action.

I may be wrong, of course. I have to judge by pricing and availability here in Australia, but taking currency conversion rates into consideration those don't seem to be too different to the situation in the US or Great Britain.

Right. your CD-ROM is a 52x CD reader, and will be reusable. The hard drive in your system will possibly be suitable for use as extra storage, but not as a main drive for a more modern system. You've already mentioned that you want to replace the monitor, and I'm afraid it's highly unlikely that any other component in that PC is reusable. It's simply too old, and quite possibly even the keyboard and mouse use outdated connection methods.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid your best move is to hunt high and low to see if you can get hold of a secondhand system from somewhere, with at least 256Mb of DDR RAM, a processor of 2GHz or better, and an AGP slot for an add-in Graphics card. You may be able to find one within your budget. O'm afraid your available funds are too low to consider other courses of action.

I may be wrong, of course. I have to judge by pricing and availability here in Australia, but taking currency conversion rates into consideration those don't seem to be too different to the situation in the US or Great Britain.

I also found the sound card ENSONIQ Soundscape VIVO90, ENSONIQ Soundscape VIVO SOUND BLASTER EMULATION

I'm planning on going to a local computer fair this weekend, so all the help you can give me is great, and I think you.

That's a very old soundcard, and the onboard audio on any recent motherboard would be as good as it, if not better ;)

Remember, you're looking for a 2GHz+ system (2000+ or better if it's got an AMD processor) You could get by with 1.5GHz (1600+) but I'd not consider anything less powerful than that. You need to ensure it has DDR RAM and not SD-RAM, and that it has an AGP graphics card slot.

If you can only purchase a system box with your funds, but can get a reasonably decent one, do so and keep using your old monitor until you can get something better.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.