I know the 1150's have a power jack issue, we've fixed a huge amount of them. The one problem we haven't figred out is this. After some repairs to the power jack, the laptop will run on battery, it says that it is charging BUT, it is actually running off the battery. If the laptop is started with only the a/c adapter and no battery, the power and battery lights flash quickly, and the power supply clicks, and so does the motherboard just below the CD drive. we know that there is something overloading, we just haven't been able to figure it out without any motherboad schematics. All the solder joints are good at the power connector, and all the traces are either good or have been repaired. we do this sort of repair to the a/c jack pretty often, but are sick of seeing this problem and not having a solution. If anyone has an actual schematic of the motherboard or a definite solution to this after-jack repair, then we'd love to see it.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Does the input pwer example 19v 1.6a match the power cable specs? If not then a chip on the mainboards is fried.

Otherwise, the battery has been recharged too many times and is past its" use by" date.

We figured it out. The IC chip that regulates the power distribution was fried. We replaced it an now it works fine.

Dell 1150 powers off after10 seconds and only power light blinks.

We figured it out. The IC chip that regulates the power distribution was fried. We replaced it an now it works fine.

I now have a Dell 1150 that has the same trouble. I have tried resoldering the power jack but it looked fine before had. I tried resoldering the LVC14A chip that has been recommended but the results are still the blinking front panel LEDs. So which chip did you replace to get the problem solved?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.