I have a six year old Compaq laptop with Windows XP and suddenly the screen blacks out and I have to reboot. It is clear the rest of the computer continues to work normally. I've reloaded everything but the problem continues. It happens if I move the computer or perhaps alter the angle of the screen and sometimes when plugging in or removing a USB peripheral. Any ideas what it might be? A loose connection? I can't afford to buy a new laptop right now but am wondering if buying a desktop VGA monitor to plug in would bypass the problem.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It could be the inverter board is cracked or has a problem with it, I had the same problem with a previous Compaq laptop I had and connecting a VGA monitor would work because did the same thing just remember to use the FN key to switch displays to that monitor.

I think your right bad connection. A Monitor should bypass the problem no harm in trying. Don't forget some modern TV's have a PC monitor connection maybe you don't have to buy a monitor.

I think your right bad connection. A Monitor should bypass the problem no harm in trying. Don't forget some modern TV's have a PC monitor connection maybe you don't have to buy a monitor.

Its not a laptop i use anymore because Compaq laptops at that time were more budget brand but i did end up using a monitor for it for about a year until i broke down and decided to finally just build a desktop. If u can still see the image but it is just really dark on the screen then the back light for the LCD could be out or like i had posted earlier the inverter has a problem

I think I did see a very dark image when I looked for it. I guess there is no easy way to fix the inverter whatever that is. Thanks for your help. A separate VGA monitor sounds the way to go then, especially as I hope to go Apple when I can afford it and buy a Mini Mac which will need a monitor.

Take a new Monitor /Display

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.