Hi!

The LCD screen of my laptop has stopped working. Now is blank. I think it's the flex cable, the connector on the motherboard I think it's broken, as this only has 29 pins and I think you should have 30 pins. I would like to give me their opinion.

I have found that an external monitor works perfectly. The lamp and the inverter also work.

The notebook is NP-R70A009/SES SAMSUNG. The flex cable is:
K1001 BA39-00638A CBF HARNESS-CONN; OSLO, Wire, UL10005, 30 / 8 / 1 SA
And the LCD screen which has 30 pins video output is:
I0003 BA59-01814A LCD PANEL-154WXGA; LTN154X3-L03-C / N, 15.4W 1 SA
I0003 BA59-02147A LCD PANEL-154WXGA; LTN154X3-L03-A, 1 SA 15.4WXG

This I think is the problem (picture). What do you think?

[IMG]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2727/imag0031fr.jpg[/IMG]

I am Spanish, my English is bad. Sorry.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Don't worry about your English -- it's fine. I can't tell from the image if it is damaged or not. It could be that it is just not used. Do you get a BIOS screen? Did the issue arise after disassembly, or before?

I see the BIOS with an external monitor. When I press Fn + F4 (to change the display: external monitor to LCD) LCD screen is white. Windows does not recognize the LCD screen, but recognize the external monitor.

The problem occurred before disassembly. The screen started to fail sometimes when launching the laptop. Now is always.

Thanks

Well, you could test the connection with a multimeter. Setting it to test continuity will send a small electric current through the red probe and measure how much resistance there is between the red and the black probes. 0, or near 0 is good; close to 1 or OL (Open Line) would indicate a break. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Y1XGcjlL0

Reconnect the cable, and disconnect the other end. Find the trace/wire in the cable that corresponds to the pin you suspect to be faulty and the matching solder point at the connector. If you have continuity, the pin is OK; if not you may need to rig a fix, or replace the connector.

I should say that this is like the old saying, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Damage to the cable may be the result of a failing LCD, or the LCD may be failing due to a damaged cable. So fixing the connector/cable may not fix the underlying problem ... Then, again you may get lucky.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.