First of all I didn't really know what forum to put this under, so if this is the wrong one, my apologizes. Now that that's done, to my issue.
I have a Dell Laptop it's an Inspiron E1705 (9400) and I lent it to a friend for a few months and he's not computer literate at all, but somehow the BIOS ended up having a password put into it so the computer is inaccessible without it, I removed my CMOS battery I'm still getting this Dell page that says: "This computer system, (My service tag number), is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password." which is just baffling to me since there is no CMOS battery, no laptop battery, and no power cord giving the motherboard power to store this information. So basically at this point I don't care how I have to do it, I just want on this computer again, I'll gladly wipe it if someone knows a way. Any input is greatly appreciated and let me know if there's any important information that I've left out I'm sure I can provide it.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Many DELL versions of BIOS have a "backdoor" password to bypass this in MFG or troubleshooting environments. This backdoor password is Dell (or DELL).

Give those a shot.

Many DELL versions of BIOS have a "backdoor" password to bypass this in MFG or troubleshooting environments. This backdoor password is Dell (or DELL).

Give those a shot.

No good unfortunately, I can't find anything anywhere else, it's nothing but greedy people who want $50+ to do it and not even show you how to do it. I'm not about to pay that.

When you removed the CMOS battery how long did you keep it out? Unless you have access to the MoBo itself and could hold the switch down, you probably didn't give enough time for the capacitors to drain. Try leaving the laptop unpowered and without either battery for at least 24 hours.

That might help... Otherwise if you do have access to the MoBo there should be a little button near the CMOS battery somewhere that you can hold to discharge the caps.

The battery only keeps the clock going. All modern Dells have an IC that stores the password. Provided you have proof of purchase, Dell themselves can help you out for free.

hi agree with RIK from rice pls try get help from Dell i think they ll do it for free

Where did rice come from? :)

hi agree with RIK from rice pls try get help from Dell i think they ll do it for free

They won't do anything for less than $50 if you don't have a warranty.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.