I have a Dell D620 which has a particular problem. When the PSU is plugged in there is no indication of charging or any other electrical activity. I have used 3 different PSU's from D620's and the result is the same. The failure was very sudden and as such I suspect that there is a component failure on the motherboard. I have the technical ability to repair it but not the knowledge of the power systems of the motherboard. I have tried searching for a schematic of the D620 but have found nothing so far. I don't want to replace the motherboard due to what could be such a simple problem as I cannot afford it at the moment. Is there anyone out there that could help with this problem?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Could it possibly be the battery? If you were able to get other PSUs to try out, maybe you can try charging up with another battery, that you know is good, in place of your present battery

I have tried two different batteries, both of which have been charged in another working D620. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

why don't you try to charge the PSU on a different pc??

I have tried two different batteries, both of which have been charged in another working D620. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

If that's the case, you seem to have correctly narrowed the problem down to the MOBO---
To be 100% sure (but I don't kow if it's worth the effort unless you are ready and willing to replace it) exchange the mobo from the problematic laptop with that of one of the working machines available to you. If it works on another machine (highly unlikely), at least you'll know that the mobo is okay. Then you'll have to figure out what the cause of the problem is on the first laptop--(some internal connection before the poser reaches the mobo?)
Bottom line--it looks like your analysis was correct and you're in hot water.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.