I was looking at processors at eBay, and found a bundle including a Asus A8V motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 processor, the add stated that it was a 2.2GHz, but when I went to Tiger Direct to price the two items, their specs show it as being 2.0GHz and didn't list one at 2.2GHz. Am I missing something here?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

That may be a typo, either with the model number, the frequency or the socket type. It may even be an overclocked chip! I cannot find a socket 939 3200+ running at 2.2Ghz in AMD's list or on this third party one. I would seek clarification on the item and some proof that such a CPU exists should the seller defend the original specs.

Hi there

I been reading about the ghz on the 939 AMD 64bit CPU and I belive have read that is 2.8 not 2.2 ghz.

DAA_dood, there are many Athlon 64 CPUs and variants of particular models, but none of them run at 2.8Ghz! As far as I can see, the highest clocked of the single core CPUs is 2.4Ghz. Perhaps you were looking at the 2800+?

you may be right

Hi COConut Monkey

Tell then how do I get for the cpu to show while is booting 2000mhz instead of 200mhz
I have an GIGABYTE board K8NS ULTRA 939, and when I boot up it only show the type of CPU in this case is 64bit 3000+ and Mhz 200. Could be something wrong? with that or that is the way it is suppose to be?

Are you sure that's not the front side bus frequency you're reading DAA_dood? While A64 platforms use Hypertransport links for communication on the motherboard, they still have an fsb of sorts for determining the CPU frequency. Yours has an "fsb" of 200Mhz. It's impossible for the CPU itself to run at 200Mhz with that kind of setup!

Hello there again

Then you tell me What am I suppose to see when the computer is booting up
on a AMD3000+ 63 bit. Isn't AMD have a 2000 mhz FSB?

Nope. It has a 200Mhz base "fsb". Its operating frequency is probably 1800Mhz, which is what you get when you combine the fsb and the CPU's multiplier (200x9). However, the 2000Mhz you may see is probably the speed of the Hypertransport links that allow the components of your motherboard to communicate with each other (previously, an actual front side bus was used for this purpose).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.