hi all - i am new to this forum but have an urgent question.

I am an mac user by nature, but my question relates to a pc (my mothers actually).

the pc in question is (as listed in its system requirements)
AuthenticAMD
AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
128 MB RAM
system - windows 98 second edition

it currently has no usb ports, and it needs some - so i have purchased a pci to usb host card with 4 usb ports on it, which i am going to install this weekend.
The pci card has system requirements of windows 98 SE or later, so no problem there.

but it also says it needs PC 486 or faster processor. (something it didnt state when i ordered it on line)

is the AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor i have faster than this - how do i find out?

the computer itself was bought new about 2 1/2 years ago if this is any help whatsoever . . .

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi whatisbobo, welcome to DaniWeb :D

This question should have gone in the Hardware forum, but...

As far as I know, the AMD-K6 3D was only available in 266MHz to 400MHz, can you contact the vendor of the USB card directly to see if it will be compatible with your CPU?

By the way, what is bobo? :rolleyes:

errrmm..

A K6 is certainly faster than a 486 processor, which is a pre-Pentium item ;)

Moved to the hardware section, by the way, as this Introductions section is not for asking and answering technical questions.

The AMD K-6 also came as fast or faster than 550 mhz...

This machine was new two years ago...?
My guess would be closer to 5 or 6 years...

I'd have to agree with that. The system would have to be at least 2000/2001 vintage.

The K6-II CPUs were released in '98, while the original K6 model was introduced in '97. The final revision, the K6-III, was released in '99.

Getting on a bit. ;)

I'm no expert on AMD CPU's by any means, having only owned one in my life, so I just went to the AMD website where I found this document (http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/21329g.pdf) that shows the AMD-K6 3D was available from 200MHz to 450MHz; it was introduced in 1997, but I'm not sure how long it was produced. The AMD-K6-2, which came out in 1999, had speeds in the 500's.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, so forgive me if I'm incorrect about any of this.

They were still being used in new systems around 2000/2001

I dont know that the Win 98 system information actually differenciated between the K6 version 1 , 2 or 3 ...

We all agree these AMD are older than 2 years...

We all agree it will handle the USB card he wants to install..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.