Okay, so I'm running on a Dell with Windows 98. So just recently I tried booting the computer and as it started the booting, it stopped and said.

set path= C:WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG

Program can not be run in DOS mode.

So, I'm not sure where the problem lies in that error. I can start it in Safe Mode, but I dont know what to look for to delete. Can anybody help?

It looks like additions have been made to DOS startup files which are stopping your system from loading properly. You haven't, by any chance, recently installed some old software have you?

Thjat entry relating to ULead seems wrong to me to be in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. I cannot understand why or how the semicolon and the pathname of a ULead program has been added but I believe it should not be there.

Perhaps somehow a DOS driver related to a ULead program has been installed and it's stuffed things up? I'm not sure of course.

But I'd edit out the final part of that entry from the relevent file.

You'll find discussion and editing instructions for the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files here:
http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

If you can access Safe mode you should ensure that Folder Options - Advanced allows you to show filename extensions. You can then edit the file from within Safe mode and try to reboot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.