I have a problem with a Sony Vaio laptop that will no longer boot up. Last time it was used, we got the blue screen of death and a message about "dumping physical memory". Now when we try to power-up the machine nothing much happens. The hard drive indicator light come on briefly (less than a second) and then goes out agian. There are three other lights on the front of the machine; the power indicator (which stays lit), the bluetooth indicator (which also stays lit) and the battery light which flashes intermittently when the unit is plugged into the mains ( I assume this shows the battery is being charged). I don't hear the hard drive spinning or fan starting up.

My feeling is that it's either the hard drive and/or the motherboard, but any ideas/suggestions/help will be gratefully received.

Incidentally, the model number is VGN-BX760. It's a standard-spec machine (i.e. no upgrades or additions) running Windows XP Pro SP3

Check it with a new memory. It may solve the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.